Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i pulled out my motor & transmission because there is always a mess under the car, mostly motor oil but including transmission fluid. so i wanted to pull them out to fix leaks and clean up engine compartment.

the car shifted crisp and transmissions seemed to be operating okay.

where would these trannys leak from? should i just put a new pan gasket on, or is it possible it was leaking out the front by the convertor or back by the yoke? the pan gasket is only a few months old since i had the fluid changed while in the car, and a new o-ring on the pickup tube. it's possible the gasket was put on funky, but if it's possible that front or rear leaks then that is prob it. how do i fix leaks?

thanks.

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
Your the one looking at it....what is wet and looks like its leaking?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Henry Highrise said:
Your the one looking at it....what is wet and looks like its leaking?
honestly, i don't know. everything was so messy, especially from the motor oil. i had a couple pans under the car, and as i parked a bit diff everytime, i don't know where it was coming from. and now that i have it out, i feel like i should have done more sluething around while it was installed, but now it's out. is there some indications i can look at while it is out on the ground now?

·
Administrator
9,768 Posts
sounds like a full re-seal job is in order for the trans.

Pull out the Pump, replace the seal & bushing & O -ring, also sealing washers on bolts.

Replace rear seal & bushing & gasket.

Replace shifter seal , filler tube seal, case electrical connector O-ring.

Pan gasket , check pan for straightness

Check for cracks in the case

Check converter hub for wear

:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts