Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Lean conditions are usually what cause damage as the lean amount of fuel builds up quite a bit of heat.

·
Hauling A55 BURNING GASS!!!
235 Posts
i usually run the cheap gas but today i felt like getting the 93 octane. the burning gas smells different i noticed, like its burning up the crap in my motor cleaning it out. the old motor in my car had burnt pistons like that and it ran like poop

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Brian Morency said:
i usually run the cheap gas but today i felt like getting the 93 octane. the burning gas smells different i noticed, like its burning up the crap in my motor cleaning it out. the old motor in my car had burnt pistons like that and it ran like poop
If your car was burning pistons it wouldn't have been driving it for long. The only reason higher octane gas is ever needed is if your car is detonating (and again, if it was, you'd probalby be rebuilding it by now). What is your compression ratio? Burning more octane than you need is a waste of money and gains you 0 horsepower.

K

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Indeed. I love the low compression street car guys who "swear" by airplane fuel :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
airplane fuel!! this sounds like a good one.dude tell us the story! open a new thread if you have to.

do it, do it , do it

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
can richening up your jets on your carb (assuming your setup can accept the extra fuel without foul) slightly reduce your chances of spark-knock and detonation?

K

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe it is lean as well, but a friend of mine seems to thing the ring butted together, and did that.... I think it just got hot and melted.... lol...

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Indeed. I love the low compression street car guys who "swear" by airplane fuel .

Yon can run AV Gas in a engine.There is a certain ratio to it.I am not for sure whay it is.I work on tractors/trailers.Used to work for a tanker co.,there were three guys who raced big block cars there.They would always grab some AV Gas after they dropped the load and mix it to run in their cars.If you mix it wrong you will break things.I used it in my kerosene heater for a few years,until I ran out of my stash.It is cleaner,hotter and lasts longer than kerosene.I never put it in my tank though.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
I think he's saying that its rediculous to listen to some guy running 8.5:1 compression talking about how great AV gas is.

Too many story-tellers in this hobby.

K

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
killerformula said:
I think he's saying that its rediculous to listen to some guy running 8.5:1 compression talking about how great AV gas is.

Too many story-tellers in this hobby.

K
Funny, I always thought AV gas would make your car fly.

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
Where did the AV subject come from anyways?

MEAN_SBC, it almost looks to me like you are having a problem with fuel distribution. The cylinder next to it looks ok...maybe a vacuum leak? Cracked head, blown head gasket, intake gasket, cracked intake?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, the engine is already fixed, and I thought that cylinder just went lean... My buddy thinks that cylinder got too rich.... I'm just trying to get some opinions to win my argument.. lol.. BTW the car that engine is in went 10.41 @ 132.37 mph on Sunday at 5500 DA!!! lol... Here's a vid...
http://amarilloracers.com/webvids/10.41.mpg

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
I think you can safely own the arguement between you and your friend. As was said before there isn't really much potential long term harm in it running rich compared to a lean setup. Its the same reason you richen up and engine to run nitrous. Lean situation cause heat which can cause all sorts of trouble.

·
Registered
977 Posts
RCastle said:
Yon can run AV Gas in a engine.There is a certain ratio to it.I am not for sure whay it is.I work on tractors/trailers.Used to work for a tanker co.,there were three guys who raced big block cars there.They would always grab some AV Gas after they dropped the load and mix it to run in their cars.If you mix it wrong you will break things.I used it in my kerosene heater for a few years,until I ran out of my stash.It is cleaner,hotter and lasts longer than kerosene.I never put it in my tank though.
AvGas can be be mixed with auto gas for mild race engines, might cost you a few horsepower. JetA will work in kerosene heaters. AvGas in a kerosene heater would be a very bad idea. If you didn't set the place on fire the lead will kill you slowly.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
I used it for a full winter,did not kill me.I am not doubting you since I have no proof it wont.I will have a natural gas furnace in my garage when I get a chance to build it.Man.,now that you mention it I am looking for some missing brain cells from that winter.One of the guys I worked with told me the AV Gas trick so being the guy I am,What the heck.I did not research into it but would not use a kerosene heater again anyway.The fumes from that alone bother my eyes.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Lets say you run chap 87 octane gas and run a tank of the good 93 octane gas once in a while (every couple tanks) would it clean out your engine or keep it running better?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts