Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like I've finally solved the huge problem I had on this mustang body. This was drivers side quarter panel at the door. Misalignment, way out of symmetry with the other side of the car, and a scalop that tilted badly towards the car (5/8")
Anyway after hammering and dollying, trying to get this area of the quarter to take shape, I noticed a crack in the metal 1/2" in from the door.

I thought, that I would weld it back up. That is until I ground it off a bit, and a 5/8" piece of bondo fell off. It looks like the welder, who had the car, ran out of patients and bondoed up the door gap to the tune of 1/2" - 3/4" along the whole door edge. Not oly there, but on the face of the door, and quarter, gobs of bondo, to make it resemble a fit of sorts.

I got mad and chipped off all the bondo and ground it all off the face of the metal.

Having only metal to work with, it was pretty easy to see where the door went wrong... took me 20 minutes to coax the bow out of the door, by hand (no tools)

Having that done and a 4' level in hand, it was easy to see that the quarter flange was welded in too close to the B pillar.

It took an hour to free it up. Another hour to dolly back the quarter close to the original shape (undoing my previous work) and voila; a very good rough fit.

Tonight I scuffed off the remaining bondo, the quarter was also misfit at the rocker (1/2" bondo filled the gap) no wonder it wasn't welded, there was nothing to weld to.

So I hammered and dolleyed and reformed the flange tight to the rocker.

I had to tune up the repop bottom door hinge mounting point, and I have a real nice fit shaping up.

Unfortunately after the grinding drilling and prying the return flange is not in the best of shape.

What is a good way of beefing this up, before welding it back onto the car?

I was thinking of cutting a new flange shape, and clamping it beneath the old flange then building back up the metal with welding and grinding. Would this work?

I need somthing, as the quarter flange has moved out 1/4-3/8 from the original position

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,295 Posts
I am having a hard time picturing what you have in front of you. But I can say that if you need more metal somewhere simply welding some in using some scrap sheet metal sounds like the way to go.

That is the fun thing about this stuff, you are in complete control. Weld a strip of metal onto the flange so it is bigger.

You posted pictures before, post more. :)

Brian

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay a couple before pics

This is before I started, just after I got mad and removed all the bondo

For scale reference 1/2" gap at the rocker filled with bondo
3/4" (diagonally from the quarter edge to the door edge) in places

So step one, after grinding off the bondo on the quarter in the door gap, was releasing the quarter from the B pillar, at the door level.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think I would replace the door and quarter. It would be easier and faster then trying to save that mess.
Bob

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, you are right Bob, that's what I thought too. It frustrated me, because I gave the welder, a new repop door and quarter to work with.

After I spent time on it last night... it looks like night and day. I'll post pics.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Updated pics

So I was hoping to get some work done tonight, but my son came by with all his friends. We talked mustangs, hot rods and hot cars for 2 hours. I didn't get a chance to use my shrinking disk, but here are some pics of where I left off. All I did was dolly the quarter at the rocker some more, and twisted the door just a little trying to get a perfect fit along the rocker. Very close.

Big difference, I think you'll agree;

1 - 7 of 7 Posts