Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a steering wheel that I would like to change the color from light gray to cream. Wanted to have it re-wrapped but was told by upholstery shops they will only do half wrap. So my next step is can anyone tell me of a spray or hand applied dye that I can use. Or do you know of someone that will do full wrap wheels?

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
You're talking about re-coloring the leather wrap, not the steering wheel itself, right? Use SEM products, like Classic Coat which comes in spray cans for leather. You need to use SEM soap and SEM plastic/ leather prep to clean it first. Buy this stuff online at www.vinylpro.com If you want to color the hard plastic steering wheel, you need Sem scuff&clean, followed by plastic/leather prep, followed by the color coat aerosol.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
Wow, what a super website and a super product! Thanks for sharing! How long did it take to lace it on? I wonder if they would do a cover out of leather supplied by the customer?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I like the SEM Color Coat for vinyls, but prefer SEMS's Sure Coat system for leather dying. It's the custom-mix color system, geared towards leather moreso than the vinyls. I just did two seats and door panels in a Honda S2000, and they came out great.

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
All of the SEM products, Color Coat, Sure Coat, and Classic Coat will work fine on vinyl. Sure Coat is water based. Only Sure Coat and Classic Coat are recommended for leather, but they are not specifically geared towards leather alone. Color Coat and Classic Coat are available in aerosols. Classic Coat is only available in aerosols, and only in specific OEM colors for Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda Toyota, Acura, and BMW. All of the Classic Coat aerosols are in shades of blacks, grays, silvers, and beiges.

Both Sure Coat and Color Coat are available in bulk and can be mixed to any color you can imagine, including metallics. There are also 3 different clears available: satin, gloss, and high gloss.

There are also bumper colors available, and a series of formulas for interior and exterior automotive vinyl and bumpers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.