Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a set of the Nordskog LED Street Series Gauges into my VW Karmann Ghia. I have the six guage set with a swap out for water with oil temperature.

http://nordskogperformance.net/product.php?productid=18878&cat=8&page=1

I have never wired a car but I do have a Wireworks harness and with the Bentley manual it should be pretty straight forward except for the gauges.

My warning lights in question:
1. Generator charging control light
2. Oil Pressure control light
3. ATF temperature control light

My questions:

1. What is a good book or source to learn about auto wiring?

Something that shows how to test things and which also shows how to read those darn meters. I am very willing to learn I just need the proper source. I would also like to learn some of the newer stuff but a good beginner to intermediate book would be great.

2. If my car has warning lights, such as an oil temp overheat light, will the new LED gauge be hooked up to this and will it read appropriately?

Any help is appreciated and if you need more information please ask.

You can also PM me if you want to.

SAM

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hi Sam,

off2wildblue said:
1. What is a good book or source to learn about auto wiring?

Something that shows how to test things and which also shows how to read those darn meters. I am very willing to learn I just need the proper source. I would also like to learn some of the newer stuff but a good beginner to intermediate book would be great.
I don't know. I've read a few that are out there, but was not impressed with the content. I would look for an old tech school text book on auto mechanics - one that's at least 30 years old.
off2wildblue said:
2. If my car has warning lights, such as an oil temp overheat light, will the new LED gauge be hooked up to this and will it read appropriately?
No, you need to do more than just hook the warning light wires to the gauges:
The old warning lights used a used pressure and temp switches to turn them on and off. The gauges require a signal that varies with temperature or pressure rather than just an on-off signal. You will need to replace the switches with sending units that are compatible with the new gauges. Most gauge sets come with the sending units you need.

Hope this helps... :thumbup:

Joe G.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.