Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm building a 32 roadster, with a327/350hp eng. i have a Afco aluminum radiator. I'm useing a185 termostat. My question is what size radiator cap would you suggest & how many CFM elec. fan would I need to cool it? I'm going to have to use apusher fan due to space, I've got 2 3/4 ins. between radiator& grille shell. I'd like to use a 12in. but don't know if it will push enough air. thanks to all that can offer help!

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,311 Posts
A 12" pusher might handle 150 hp, but no way it will take on 350. You'll have to rethink that entirely. For 350 hp, think more along the lines of an 18" puller fan and then you'll be in the ballpark. If you can fit a mechanical, that's even better.

I would stick with a higher pressure cap; 15-17 psi. The aluminum can handle it, and with a big engine in a little engine bay, expect to hit some higher temps.

And kudos to you for choosing a good thermostat temp.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Lenny....I,m building a '32 Victoria with a built 331" sbc, PRC alum radiator with a recommended 16# cap and a 180 t-stat. I,m using a 16" Zirgo 2750 cfm puller fan which is about as big a fan (in diam.) that will fit a '32 grill shell. I,m also using a short wtr. pump which gives me ample room for the fan which is only 3.5" thick overall. You must be using a long pump not to have enough room, The puller fan works best but if thats not going to work for you then install a 16" pusher up as high on the rad. as possible and put an adj. fan switch on it. You can get the Zirgo or Spal in cfm's up to 3900 or so but I doubt you would need that much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
327nuts

Hi, thanks for the info, I am also running a 331ci. but for some reason I only have about 1in. between the short water pump and the radiator. I bought the frame from I guy, and he had Ravon mfg. set the motor mounts and cross member up. about a 14'' fan is as big as I could put in front of the radiator. Got any other suggestions?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Well looks like you only have a couple of choices, you could move the mounts back to make room for the fan or just use the 14" you say will fit in front. To be honest it sounds like someone screwed up when installing the mounts. Theres a million '32's running sbc with a short pump and a pusher fan. If you use the 14" fan make sure it has plenty of cfm to keep it cool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.