Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm learning more and more about carbs every day, especially since I got the holley. Went up to George's place (1BAD80) this weekend and he showed me the holley ropes. As far as I can tell, the choke creates a smaller opening for air to come though and increases the velocity of the flow into the carb to better atomize the rich fuel mixture added by choking the carb. How far am I off?

Also, why is it that carbed rides run poorly in the cold until reaching op. temp? Is it simply that the cold parts don't create the nescessary turbulance to properly mix the fuel?

K

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
the choke plate plate on the linkage,above the primary ventri,is kept closed to richen mixture by increasing vacuum. on vauum sec. holleies the airbleeds are open at a set ampount(find the mystery screw,usually on underside of baseplate adjusts idle quality)

electric is limiting in peformance apps, but mechincal is the best infintly adjustible on demand. choke plate stays locked open.

cold ir is denser and requires more fuel to creat ratio

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so if your ride is dead cold, say 32 degrees (if you can get the damend thing started at ALL) The only air it should be getting is from the airbleeds?

K

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
i meant to say transfer slot opens are set with a screw initail is .020" of the slot should be showing.if the sec throttle plate isnt set right it can lead to very hard cold starts.just a fyi.

i believe that carbs can suck through other places than just air bleeds.,when cold.some does leak by the seconadry plate.as it is tipped.at warm idle the primarys should only be sucking at the idle porrts. is that safe? maybe add on mild performance engine.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
yes but the secondary spring woul keep it from opening all the way,plus no load on the engine so it wont pull fuel like it does while driving.

well i guess the linkage can hold it closed.
i though ypu meant reving it in N

·
The Smell of Nitro in the morn
2,411 Posts
The choke must have 1/8" gap (from completely closed) to get it started, if closed all the way you will not get enough air, thus not start and possible to flood the motor.
On a regular choke NOT cable the motor sucks it closed, as soon as it fires up it opens back up to the preset gap. Then it opens according to the heat via spring tension.
If you close all the way it with the manual cable, as soon as it fires up you MUST crack it open a little to keep it running.
I do not have any choke`s and can start it without any problem.
The motor has to get warm to expand all the parts to have it run correctly.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
so an expansion of a clearance makes your engine run better when warm? which one?

i was taught bearing clearances must be maitained

completely agree with choke setup.

my choke cable is so, old if i try to pull all the way closed, the handle would come off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts