Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm flying from CO to NJ to pick up a '75 Ford Crew Cab Car Hauler this weekend. Guy needs to keep his plates.

What's the right way to 'temp tag' this for the drive back to CO? :confused:

Thanks for the help!

Derm

Attachments

·
Home School Valedictorian
1,639 Posts
I have done em with a bill of sale, signed title, and home made in transit tag in window.
Never in CO. though.
That was before proof of insurance was required.

·
Lost in the 50s!
758 Posts
Arkansas has what they call "drive out" tags. I am no sure of the procedure, but you prove you bought it and they give you a paper tag to go in the back window that's good for like a week or so from the date of purchase.

It looks like the temporary tags that dealers use, but it says "drive out".

I would check with the NJ DMV and see if they have something similar so you don't get stopped all the time on the way home.

Maybe a member here from NJ will know.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Brian.

Will, of course, carry Bill of Sale & signed title. Don't want to spend any extra time before I get on the road, and am flying into Jersey at 3:45 pm, so hitting the DMV would mean a big loss of travel time.

Might just risk it. :nono: With a new to me rig of this size (27'), I won't be breaking any speeding laws.

But, am very interested in any advice from those who have done similar!

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
That size truck (especially decorated) just might attract the attention of individual state DOT that you cross. I would contact CO immediately to see if they offer a TEMP or TRANSPORT tag and that you have insurance papers specific to the truck's VIN along with a CERTIFIED BILL of SALE. It may also require a DOT Inspection if it is registered over 10,000#.

Either that or go around scales and move it on the weekend.

MD offers a ten day temp but it is only good for getting the vehicle to an inspection station and cannot be operated out of state.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point! Might rattlecan the logos, as I'll be going thru the whole truck after I return, and that'll convey that I'm not a 'commercial' truck.

Does the tag need to come from the state it's leaving (NJ) or the state it will be registered next in (CO)? Any idea?

I'll contact DMV here tomorrow, although the nearest office is over an hour away.

I'll also call my insurance agent & ensure I get this vehicle covered and some type of certification of such.

Again, certifying the Bill of Sale will extend my sale to the next business day, I would think. Is this done by the DMV or any Notary, or who?

Thanks for all the help, guys!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also asked the seller if I could 'ride' his tags home & mail 'em back to him, just to keep it simple...

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
derm said:
Good point! Might rattlecan the logos, as I'll be going thru the whole truck after I return, and that'll convey that I'm not a 'commercial' truck.
Maybe just hang signs that read, NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE-TRANSPORTING.

Does the tag need to come from the state it's leaving (NJ) or the state it will be registered next in (CO)? Any idea?
The tag should be your state of domicile (also to match your state driver's license).

I'll contact DMV here tomorrow, although the nearest office is over an hour away.

I'll also call my insurance agent & ensure I get this vehicle covered and some type of certification of such.
The paper (not binder) has to be specific to the VIN and carried with the truck.

Again, certifying the Bill of Sale will extend my sale to the next business day, I would think. Is this done by the DMV or any Notary, or who?[/quote]

You want the Bill of Sale hit by a notary and keep the receipt with it.

Check your MVA on the web. MD offers a legal Bill of Sale form. Makes things a lot easier.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
derm said:
Also asked the seller if I could 'ride' his tags home & mail 'em back to him, just to keep it simple...
Not only illegal but makes the seller responsible for anything that happens with the truck until the tags are turned in. Bad idea for a seller.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KULTULZ said:
Not only illegal but makes the seller responsible for anything that happens with the truck until the tags are turned in. Bad idea for a seller.
Roger that. Guess I've been in the backwoods ( & known all the local cops) too long.

You guys are very helpful. Thanks!

I spend most of my time on Pirate4x4.com, as it is oriented toward my serious 4-Wheeling pursuits, but this board stands out as the 'Elder Statesman' of the internet. You are appreciated!

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
I would check with your local DMV....They should be able to tell you the procedure and if you will have trouble in each state you cross. A temp tag may only be good for each state.....never know.

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
KULTULZ said:
That size truck (especially decorated) just might attract the attention of individual state DOT that you cross. I would contact CO immediately to see if they offer a TEMP or TRANSPORT tag and that you have insurance papers specific to the truck's VIN along with a CERTIFIED BILL of SALE. It may also require a DOT Inspection if it is registered over 10,000#.

Either that or go around scales and move it on the weekend.

MD offers a ten day temp but it is only good for getting the vehicle to an inspection station and cannot be operated out of state.
If you had bought a car or a pickup you could drive it home without a problem with just the signed title and some form of proof of insurance. But you have bought a truck which brings you into a whole new world of regulations. I cannot drive the truck in me avatar out of the state of Iowa without buying a trip permit in the state I enter or having papers of apportionment. Decorated or not you probably are not going to make it past the first weigh station you come to without the proper permits. Even if you license it in Colorado first or run on the other guy's plates you will have to by permits for every state you cross if you do not have papers of apportionment. Save yourself some time and hassle and check with your department of transportation before you go to pick up the truck. I'm sure they offer a permit for just this occasion, I know Iowa has a permit you can buy to drive home a truck that is purchased out of state

One more thing to think about is buying insurance for the trip. Here again you have to worry about different regulations for a truck. My truck insurance is no good outside the state of Iowa but my insurance agent does offer trip insurance if I decided to go out of state to haul something.

I would not want to try to duck the scales for that distance. Any cop you meet can stop you and you will end up with the same problem.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
N.J. has temperary window paper which allows you to drive the vehicle, dealers can issue them. I would ask the seller if he can arrange to have that done when you get there. Dan

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Any DMV, whether in Colorado or New Jersey can tell you what you need to have to properly bring the rig back to your home state. You should be able to call your local DMV or the DMV in the state that you are buying the vehicle from and they will set you straight. My guess is that New Jersey will be the ones to set you up with what you need.

Kevin

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, picture what the DMV would look like in Mayberry. That's what I've got. The website KULTULZ gave me (Thank you) lists a DMV in my county that is open 8-4 M-F. No such item. And, if you do catch 'em open, you're gonna get great service, but no knowledge, ie "Honey, I don't know. Let me call around. Plus, if Barney stops you, just tell him I said it was okay'.

And, at the other end of the spectrum is calling the Jersey DMV. Wow...

Thanks for all the help!

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
Give these guys a call and explain your situation.

Colorado Titles and Registrations

1881 Pierce Street
Lakewood, Colorado
Phone: (303) 205-5607
Fax: (303) 205-5978
Hours of Operation:
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Mail Correspondence to:
Motor Vehicle Business Group
Department of Revenue
Registration Section
Denver, Colorado 80261-0016

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the tip. Called them. Here's the lowdown.

Any tag has to come from NJ unti the rig is in state & can get a VIN inspection.

In CO, you have 72 hours to transport the rig with no tags, just Title, Bill of Sale, and Proof of Insurance.

However, I doubt that applies in all the states I'm passing thru. So, as much as I hate to spend the extra $$ & waste the time, I'm gonna spend the night in Jersey, hit the DMV in the am, & do the vehicle transfer. Have to pay Jersey tax (6%) + fees & God only knows how long it'll take to get thru the line at the DMV in Newark, NJ...

Then, I'll put red duct tape over the side logo & stencil 'not for commercial use' on the sides & head for Colorado.

Thanks for all the help, guys!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
KULTULZ said:
:pain:

Have you priced having it transported to CO? Maybe just the state line?
Originally, I did. But being such a big rig (27', 10k lbs) was prohibitive. In addition, I'm picking up a press in PA & a '67 Cougar in IN for my shop. So, that's out. I'll save more transporting these 2 items myself than I'll spend on Jersey temp tags, so I guess it'll work. Lesser of 2 evils.

Plus I haven't been out East for decades, other than some military trips to Norfolk & the like. Looking forward to the drive. :thumbup:

Thanks.

Derm

1 - 20 of 36 Posts