Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it can be done, but can it be reliable to run hydraulic lifters on a solid cam? Its flat tappet if it matters and I would be willing to get the best hydraulic lifters I could find. Also, will this affect duration, and in what way?

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
You can....can't go the other way and run solid on a hyd cam.

You probably wont like the results.....Buy a decent hdeaulic cam...........

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
ap72 said:
how will it affect duration? more or less?
You will be eliminating the ramps that are designed to properly start the valve in motion and shut it again. This will increase duration (and lift by removing the valve lash) and beat the piss out of the lifters and cam.

tom

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it'll be rough on it, but if it lasts 25,000 miles I will be more than happy- I know I could build milder and run it longer, but I like living on the edge and playing with fire- costs more but it helps me sleep at night.

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
ap72 said:
but I like living on the edge and playing with fire- costs more but it helps me sleep at night.
So, set your head on fire.................

When that cam beats the heck out of itself and takes out the rest of the engine, you will be sorry..........or, maybe not.

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
ap72 said:
I know it'll be rough on it, but if it lasts 25,000 miles I will be more than happy- I know I could build milder and run it longer, but I like living on the edge and playing with fire- costs more but it helps me sleep at night.
You would be lucky if it lasts 5000 miles.

tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts