Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having strange things happen when i turn on my lights to my 73 gran torino. my right turn signal turns on my hazards (left one works fine) and they both dont work if the headlights are on. reverse lights don't work either. got a new turn signal harness in the column does the same thing.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
having strange things happen when i turn on my lights to my 73 gran torino. my right turn signal turns on my hazards (left one works fine) and they both dont work if the headlights are on. reverse lights don't work either. got a new turn signal harness in the column does the same thing.
Does holding your hand on your head and sticking your tongue halfway out make it work? Just kidding.
You have two choices. Get all the equipment required to troubleshoot the systems with a wiring diagram or yank everything out and install a new wiring harness from one of the aftermarket suppliers. Maybe someone else on this site has had the same experience with their car and can offer better advice than I can. I hate electrical problems.

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
Always remember this.. 99% of the time when lights are doing crazy things on a car.. It's usually a bad ground some wheres...

Check to see if you have a light shocket that the bulb is in wrong... I built a car for a friend that was have a crazy thing gone on with the lights.. I asked him if he changed a bulb on the car,, He didn't remember if he did...

So I started checking things out,, Pulled the cover off the tail lights and the shocket inside the housing had turned inside.. Making the bulb make the wrong contact inside,, Made the lights go nut's.. Was a easy fix.. And I was lucky to find it within 15 Mins...:sweat:

electrical problems sometimes can take hours to trouble shoot... But when things are going crazy,,, I check grounds FIRST...

Might be time to doing a wiring job... Takes about a day to do one with the all the new kits today..

Reactions: John long

·
Slow but willing learner
5,407 Posts
Start with NewInteriors advice. 95% of the time his advise will be right. I have also run across double socket tail lights making incorrect contact in the socket but usually it is a simple ground issue as he says.

John L

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Always remember this.. 99% of the time when lights are doing crazy things on a car.. It's usually a bad ground some wheres...

Check to see if you have a light shocket that the bulb is in wrong... I built a car for a friend that was have a crazy thing gone on with the lights.. I asked him if he changed a bulb on the car,, He didn't remember if he did...

So I started checking things out,, Pulled the cover off the tail lights and the shocket inside the housing had turned inside.. Making the bulb make the wrong contact inside,, Made the lights go nut's.. Was a easy fix.. And I was lucky to find it within 15 Mins...:sweat:

electrical problems sometimes can take hours to trouble shoot... But when things are going crazy,,, I check grounds FIRST...

Might be time to doing a wiring job... Takes about a day to do one with the all the new kits today..
Bingo! Common sense to the fore. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no the hazards don't work right, but thanks for all the help. i just needed to hear what i thought in the first place new harness and switches. :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.