Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay someone help me out here is there a difference between limited slip and posi or is a "friend" trying to give me ****. if there is a difference could someone tell me. thanks.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
A limited slip diff does just what the name says, it`s a clutch type, in a straight line both wheels get there share of torque, when the vehicle is in a turn, one disengauges. all the factories had names for limited slip diffs, GM called it "positraction" ford called it "traction Lok" and Dodge called it "sure grip"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so the kid thats trying to tell me my jeep has limited slip and that the reason that my jeep lays down two lines is because of traction control not posi is fos? cool. hes a dick anyways. thanks

·
Registered
392 Posts
I doubt your 1975 Jeep had traction control. Real traction control is computer operated.

'Positraction' is a trademark of Eaton for one type of their Limited Slip Differentials which I think was used by GM and others. GM liked the name 'Safe-T-Track', made by Auburn, for some of their limited slip units for a while. They used cones instead of clutches. Dont know if they still use it.

The Jeep could have a DANA axle. I dont know what they call their LSD. 'Truetrack' maybe, or that might be aftermarket.

There are also locking differentials, a kind of limited slip. There are Detroit Lockers, and Torsens, I think are too.

I really dont know all that much about them, or even the differences. Just enough to work on them a little, and probably enough to be dangerous.

·
Registered
118 Posts
A lot of racers consider "posi" to mean a spool. A limited slip is generally considered any differential that uses friction to lock the axles together when enough torque is applied. A locker has physical teeth that lock together to create a spool, which disengage under light load. When they are all operating correctly, they will all create the same traction characteristics under heavy load.

A spool is race only (car can't turn properly). A locker is street/strip. A limited slip can also be street/strip but is designed to be for street cars.

"so the kid thats trying to tell me my jeep has limited slip and that the reason that my jeep lays down two lines is because of traction control not posi is fos? cool."

I would bet on your Jeep having some sort of friction operated limited slip. That "kid" seems to be confused. They all will lay down two tracks of rubber.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.