Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an electric Lincoln fan with ABS shroud that I need to cut down about 3/8" so it fit between the radiator and pulleys. What can I use to cut it without melting the ABS?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reciprocating saw would work because It comes with features like you can change different blades for the different types of material. I'm using Dewalt DWE305 and it's perfect to work with any material.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Oh I been here.

Remove and secure the shroud to a workbench

Tape off then spray paint the shroud with a bright paint like silver/orange so that you have a clear refrence to go back to. Leave the tape off stuff on for now.

Put on some safety glasses and a face shield with a long sleeve shift. Open the garage door if you can.

Grab a grinder and just "wave" back and forth removing a little bit at a time until the paint is gone.

Let it cool as your setting up the other side.

Its messy, can stink, and if your not careful you can destroy the shroud. But it is the best method I have used.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Oh opps. I thought you were trying to increase the diameter.

You dont want to cut the reinforcing "lip" off a shroud. The thick part at the edge. This may cause the edge to be flexible which may cause fan blade damage.

To move the shroud 3/4" back I would notch/grind the radiatior side of the shroud.
This modification will be less noticable so the final result will look better. But it will keep that reforcing lip intact.
Of course you still want clean cuts and no cracking so using a tool that removes a bit of material in a controlled manner is recommended. If you do use a reciprocating tool make sure the blade has many teeth so it has less chance to grab and potentially crack.

A rotary bit allowed to cool after a foot or so would be my second choice after a grinder. Just move around the shroud taking a bit before moving onto another area like you were welding so it does not get to hot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts