Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure on Summits liner.

I used a JC whitney fuel cell liner on an aluminum tank ten years ago. I followed all the directions and found the material flaked off the fuel tank in chunks and strips. Naturally this happened in the middle of the dunes, on the worst windy cold night. It began snowing as I cleaned the fuel filter. I was running methanol in the car and was hoping to extend the tank life. I still have the same tank and it is weathering fine. If your going to try it, maybe make a five sided box and line it as you were thinking. Test it with your fuel before lining the tank?

·
Registered
5 Posts
it was new.

I used a new spun aluminum tank. I modified the tank by welding a pick up sump to it before lining it. It seemed to hold in the garage immediately after application, but began to delaminate on the first day of sloshing, bouncing, and returning fuel. The good news was it stuck so poorly that I was able to get all of the liner off with a bit of work and continue to use the tank in aluminum. I drain the fuel after we run the car and purge the system with a little race gas to pickle the lines. So the tank really only sat in methanol for 3 to 5 days a month, for ten years. I can also include a couple of one week plus longer trips or laziness when we get home to the equation. The car has had two fuel filters in its life and they show a little bit of aluminum in them when I clean them. They seem to do an adaquate job of straining the very slow erosion of the tank. I was more concerned ten years ago about the tank than I am today. As long as I dont let the tank sit in methanol for more than a few days at a time and keep up on my maintenance it seems to work fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.