Hot Rod Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I don''t know about you, but I'm the poster beast for legal rides. Windsheild 4" under the limit, no hood, I'll have my intake in full veiw of the driver. Steering wheel 5" to narrow. A very loud sound system blaring "this is Halloween" or Beethoven or Chopin there will be a sliding roof too, so exstra loud :D 2" below the suspention lowering limit. Visable neon lighting. My favorite, and just to erk the laws nerves no windsheild wipers! I'm the poster beast for legal I don't know what your talking about :D

HK

·
Registered
49 Posts
LOL.. to be honest, that just came off the top of my head as i was typing... it's my gift... one of the very few things I'm good at.

just re-tought it, you may even be able to just press the flower-arrangent style foam onto the plate and make a perfect impression. that stuff is very, well, impressionable(??) and that would cut it down to just 4 steps: press, protect, pour and paint. doesn't seem like as much work when you look at it that way..

press on the foam, coat the pressing with some non-sticking agent, pour in the epoxy or whatever you are making it out of and when that dries it (should) pop right out, prime and paint.. maybe a little sanding and a little de-burring, but a lot easier then my previous suggestion :p

as far as 'legal' cars.. i may not be (even nearly) as "bad" as HK (though from the sounds of it I wish i were :p sounds like a sweet ride) I'm prety sure my exhaust is too loud and definately wouldn't pass any kind of emissions inspection. only good part about floida is that there are no required vehicle inspections like NY has (or at least had, when i was gowing up there). no way in hell this thing would be on the road in NY :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check out http://fatboy.ieway.com/~bcain/index.htm The Old License Farm. They are one of the few places I have found to restore license plates. If your car already is registered in CA with the plates regardless of the condition, you can paint them and get them restored, and will probably be fine if you do a decent job. However, many of the suggestions, including bondo, and paint can be or are illegal in CA. Basically it has to be the correct colors, and if that is done, who is going to catch it. The real headache is if you want to register a car with some different year of manufacture license plates that are either in poor condition, or have been repainted poorly as the DMV will "inspect"/reject them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for all of the info fellas. I appreciate it. OAP lucky for me, the car has been registered in CA since it was first bought by a guy that used to deliver gas to the Riverside Raceway. I even got to keep the old 76 drum that was in the back of the pickup. COOL!!
So, I don't have to have the DMV check me or my plates out, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. I'll check out the site. Wow, I never thought lil' ol' me would have the hot topic with lisence plates. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
The best way to restore the old black and yellow Ca plates is to take the plate and have it powder coated black. Then take the plates to your local pin striper and for between 50 and 100 bucks they will look better that new.

Rick
Hanford CA

21 - 25 of 25 Posts