Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got word this morning that my local drag strip Richmond Dragway has officially pulled the plug and will be sold.

A lot of reasons given but the whole stupid ass shutting down for a Chinese engineered virus just so they could put a goddamned Manchurian candidate in place is the main one.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it is. I am pretty pissed about it really. The owner kept saying that it was going to open for 2021, but we kept waiting and waiting for a schedule and nothing. As we crept through the holidays, we started second guessing it and got the word this morning. I started racing at that track when I was 16, went there when I was 14 and it had only been open 3 years at the time. I sat down today and counted - I have put 12 different cars down that track since I was 16 and that's not counting ones that I helped out on. I got my license in March of '70, I was racing on that track two weeks later.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah that sucks, but if these morons want to take the track away, maybe we should just go back to the streets where it all began, and not let law enforcement stop us, God knows that they are being defunded everywhere so why not! Won't cost you a paycheck to race, less you bet it and loose.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
303 Posts
That's not good new. We have not got many drag strips in this country, Shakespeare Raceway in my opinion was the best in the country. They shut that down a couple of years ago to build houses on the site.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just got word this morning that my local drag strip Richmond Dragway has officially pulled the plug and will be sold.

A lot of reasons given but the whole stupid ass shutting down for a Chinese engineered virus just so they could put a goddamned Manchurian candidate in place is the main one.
Meh, 2020 didn't help, but This has been a slow burn. Track owners are getting tired of having to fight the county, and town halls, over noise complaints .
Ya, ya you can cry till the cows come home, that the track was there first. No body in power cares.
This is not a new issue, This goes back to the 70's. Racers are stubborn , You know what type of events don't have to fight the county board, etc. Those that are out of sight(hearing), out of mind. But racers are like the Harley bikers, open pipes or death. Track owners are tired of having to fight this crap , I don't blame them for throwing in the towel and say'n the hell with this, it aint worth it. Us racers have had 50 odd years to fix this and choose not to. We are now paying for it.
Again a track that is out of sight (neighbors don't hear it) don't tax the track owners with the headache of fighting city hall. But that is way , WAY to easy. open pipes or death. welp, death it is. You reap what you sow.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In this particular case you have it absolutely wrong. The area of this county that the track sits in is a rural area, it is next to the airport and Air National Guard station. The closest new homes are miles away from it and curfew was closely obeyed by the owner. There is also a train track running directly behind the track and also the police department has a training and shooting range next to the track. Across the street is a concrete plant. He had his reasons and I do respect those reasons but I think his mind was made up well before he announced it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
In this particular case you have it absolutely wrong. The area of this county that the track sits in is a rural area, it is next to the airport and Air National Guard station. The closest new homes are miles away from it and curfew was closely obeyed by the owner. There is also a train track running directly behind the track and also the police department has a training and shooting range next to the track. Across the street is a concrete plant. He had his reasons and I do respect those reasons but I think his mind was made up well before he announced it.
If you say so. The county public meeting "minutes" , over the years, tell a different story.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,645 Posts

buy it run it yourself, sounds like an easy fix 🤷‍♂️

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,822 Posts
I-70 motorsports park comes to mind. Tim wants a drag strip and oval track. The racers want it, the fans want it, it's very rural area with nothing else around. It's next to a 4 lane interstate, it's already existed before without issues, unfortunately the county doesn't care about any of that and insist on fighting it till Tim runs out of money.
Motorsports in general seem to be poor choice for investing and creating business regardless of the revenue generated.
You know how to make a fortune in racing? Start with a bigger one.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Charlie...
I'm in a similar situation, except that I'm just finishing building my car so that I could go race it.
I was hoping to at least get several years of racing, and the track is within sight of my house.
So just as I'm finishing my project, I hear that Nascar now owns the speedway, and is "downsizing" it.
No mention at all of the current 1/4 mile strip, or any plan for anything after the downsizing.

It might have gone down this way regardless, but the f-ing Chinese Communists (not to mention the domestic ones) didn't help matters.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
That is so sad, had my local track close in 88. I sure hope my new home town keeps it, I sure have enjoyed it!

Brian

·
Registered
185 Posts
Track owners, have looked around, at events and see the writing on the wall, the number of younger racers is small and most of the racers are getting old. As the older guys/gal age out, they know there is not enough younger racers to keep the place going.
They either throw up their hands now while the business "looks" to be worth something or wait till it is running in the rad and worth nothin.
I think, If racers want to help tracks recover from 2020. We need to go back to the way it was done at the start. Local car clubs volunteered at the track ,helping run the week end events. Lowering the cost it takes to open the gates. The days of big sponsor money to pay a full crew on the payroll is over.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here in Richmond, we had what was called the RVA Lists - two lists of the fastest street cars in the area. Their schedule was about once a month and the place was absolutely packed on Friday nights. Even without the list racers, Friday nights were street night and TnT. Myself and my boys understood that we had to get there early in line, get the cars/bikes out of the trailers and into the staging lanes as quickly as possible when the gates opened at 4:00 and start making hits because by 6:00-6:30, the staging area lanes were backing up into the pit area and if you were able to get another run or two, you were going to be there til 10:00 pm to do it. Now, a lot of the people there were just spectating at $10 a crack, racers were a bit more money and other than his work crew and normal overhead - nothing was being paid out. I am talking a packed race track that by 7:00 you were having a hard time finding pit space. And to address your age deal - sure some of us are older but I would wager that on Friday nights and Saturday bracket events - there is a youth revolution going on. If you haven't attended, if you don't race then you aren't doing anything but guessing.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yeah, even at Fontana Dragway they were doing Wednesday night Street Legal drags, and it seemed to be very busy.
There were lots of young guys. One club of the newer generation of Mustangs had a bunch of fast cars there.
Now that you can buy fast cars from the dealer, anyone with a newer Camaro, Mustang, Challenger or Charger (as well as others), can go drag racing, and go faster than many of the "legendary" musclecars.

The only problem that I saw was some people show up in their new musclecar, but they've never learned to drive with that kind of power.
So it wasn't uncommon to see someone put their brand new car into a wall.
The first night that I went to the Street Legal drags, I saw a brand new GT-R and a brand new Camaro hit the wall...

But yeah, I saw alot of enthusiasm from the younger crowd... little tiny Hondas running 10 second 1/4 mile!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.