Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some ARP cam bolts and oil pump stud/nut.

The instructions for my Comp Cams timing set says to use Loctite on the cam bolts, if you aren't using a lock plate.
I thought it was kind of odd that the lock plates for roller cams always seem to have metric bolts...
So I was going to install the cam bolts with Loctite, but when I looked at the ARP site they only have a link to General Torque Specs, which isn't application-specific, it just shows torques based on bolt diameter and says to use their Ultra-Torque thread lube.

I'd assume that you wouldn't be using thread lube and thread locker at the same time...
So what's the consensus... lube or Loctite? Cam Bolts and Oil Pump Stud/Nut...

·
More for Less Racer
20,944 Posts
I've never loctited them, just lube and torqued and I've never had them come loose, or know anyone who has, at least on SBC and BBC with 3 bolts.

I have heard of the single bolt SBF coming loose, but never have seen it personally.

When I use a lock plate to hold a cam button, I never bend the lock tabs over on that either, just straight bolt torque.

Oil pump stud and nut, just ARP lube and nothing else.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
There are varying degrees of loctite - blue, red and green. Blue is piece of mind and wil not allow a nut or bolt that is loose to back off and fall off/out; red is more of a nylock nut equivalent, and green is just dang dumb - need a torch to get bolts out with green loctite. Green is for extreme circumstances - will fill a crack on a counterbore and seal it - for DECADES.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
... and never get Loctite on anything plastic, at least not anything important.
I put some blue Loctite on the motor mount screws on one of the first Electric Ducted Fan jets I had, back in 2008.
It softened the plastic, allowing the motor to move and the fan to rub the housing, which fried the motor.

Then I remembered that Loctite was banned on the flightline when I was in the USAF.
A little off topic, but good to know...

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
I've never loctited them, just lube and torqued and I've never had them come loose, or know anyone who has, at least on SBC and BBC with 3 bolts.

I have heard of the single bolt SBF coming loose, but never have seen it personally.

When I use a lock plate to hold a cam button, I never bend the lock tabs over on that either, just straight bolt torque.

Oil pump stud and nut, just ARP lube and nothing else.
Anybody remember me mentioning the 355 SBC engine that my son grenaded during a burnout in it's third season??

Well Answer #1 above was the main reason and Answer #3 (plus my own stupidity) finished it off. It was a low-buck engine back then anyway, I don't think we had $8000 in it. Hell - what's 8k when you might waste 3-4 drops of loctite and spend a minute or two bending the tabs on a retainer plate? What do I know - right?

·
More for Less Racer
20,944 Posts
Anybody remember me mentioning the 355 SBC engine that my son grenaded during a burnout in it's third season??

Well Answer #1 above was the main reason and Answer #3 (plus my own stupidity) finished it off. It was a low-buck engine back then anyway, I don't think we had $8000 in it. Hell - what's 8k when you might waste 3-4 drops of loctite and spend a minute or two bending the tabs on a retainer plate? What do I know - right?
I don't have a problem with someone using loctite if they want, I was just posting the fact I've never found it necessary with proper bolts and torque spec, and neither did Chevrolet originally?

I have seen lock tabs broken off either from re-use of a used plate or just form too aggressive bending it tight to a bolt head. You also have to be careful that you don't bend them in such a way as to make then stick up above the bolt head as it will hit some covers.

I would suggest if you do use the lock plate tabs that you only use them once, and throw it away and replace it for reassembly. Loctite certainly can't hurt if you want to use it.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Maybe Chevrolet didn't want to spend the penny on each engine and the odds of someone cranking that engine to the sky was normally limited by hydraulic lifters that floated rather well around 5500. The same with stock oil pumps, they never seemed to put anything on the oil pump bolts until a few years ago. I bought a stock pump from the Chevy store (had a connection at the time) and when I went to check the clearance on the gears, I was surprised that there was loctite on each of the bolts. So whatever their source for them is now, it has changed. I agree with the tabs on the plate, one use and that's it - deep six it when it comes off the engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.