Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I know this is not a hot rod question but all of you have helped me this far so i will as my question here.

i have a 2000 dodge neon that i drive everyday. I have no heat and i cant figure out way it has a new radiator, thermostat. I pulled the two hoses going to the heater core and put a water hose to them and water will flow both ways i put the hose on the pipes that go to the motor and it flows both ways also. the car does not run hot at all i am stumped i guess the only other thing it could be is the water pump is going out and it don't have enough to push the coolant through the core.

anyone have any other ideas

·
Registered
61 Posts
Heat

Does the blower work? After connecting everything do you burp the system so there is no air in it? Is there a heat valve on it? If so is it working properly? haven't messed with too many Neons but worth a check.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes the blower works fine i did burp the system. I have looked for a heat valve but i cant find one. lol i do know it is starting to get cold here and driving to work in the cold sucks lol. i am in the middle of building a c10 and i think the car is getting jealous of me spending all my time on the truck

·
Registered
381 Posts
The cable for the blend door may be kinked or may have came off also the plastic tab on the door itself may be broke off. It should be located under the passenger side of the dash. Hope this helps ;)

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
I believe dodge has vacuum control's for the heater. I had to replace the control assy. from the dash and replace it cause it was worn out the new one cured the problem. You might look for a vacuum leak somewhere as my Dynasty had vacuum control module's all over under the dash behind the glove box. Check for vacuum leaks on the engine also that leads through the firewall. :thumbup:

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
After you warm up the engine, turn your heater on high temp and feel both heater hoses. If thier both hot, you have flow through the heater core. That would indicate a door control problem in the heater box.
If one is hot and the other cool, you have a blocked core or a flow problem.
You've already checked the core and it was OK, so you need to look at flow.
Check for an external valve somewhere on one of the heater hoses just before the firewall. If it doesn't have one then it's a positive flow system. I doubt the water pump is bad or your engine would be running hot. Check it out and see what you find, and get back to us. :cool:

·
Registered
105 Posts
After all I red here it sounds to me like a bad heater core. The hoses from and to the heater core are unfortunately not always an indicator for a working core. I had the same issue on my F250. Took me a while to figure it out too. Everything was working fine inlet and outlet was hot but the heater core was just warm. Bought a new one and everything was working fine! Its really nice to have working heat in MI. :D
If your water pump is bad you would have other heat issues! :D
I would do that next if I were you since you eliminated pretty much every other possible cause.
Its not that expensive ($60.00 at Rock) and takes only an hour or so to exchange. :thumbup:

Tomi

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Furytom said:
After all I red here it sounds to me like a bad heater core. The hoses from and to the heater core are unfortunately not always an indicator for a working core. I had the same issue on my F250. Took me a while to figure it out too. Everything was working fine inlet and outlet was hot but the heater core was just warm. Bought a new one and everything was working fine! Its really nice to have working heat in MI. :D
If your water pump is bad you would have other heat issues! :D
I would do that next if I were you since you eliminated pretty much every other possible cause.
Its not that expensive ($60.00 at Rock) and takes only an hour or so to exchange. :thumbup:

Tomi
thanks guys

furytom i guess i am going to have to bite the bullet and tar it apart and change the core

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i did it i put and heater core in the old neon and now i have HEAT.

thanks guys for all the help.

i had to pull the dash out all the way to the firewall and take the heat/cool box completely out i also had to discharge my a/c

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
I was about to say that an hour is about enough time to drain coolant, and evac the a/c, lol. How long did it take you? Just curious, I have done several of these and know that they are not the most spacious of areas.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have to admit I was not aware it's that much work on a Neon. But I should have know since Chrysler does not like mechanics at all. Working on my 2002 Concord is always a pain in the rear end. :smash: I tell you on my F250 it was a one hour job. 2 hoses and a cover and done. Well and refill the coolant.

But cool that you got your heat back.

Tomi

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sbchevfreak said:
I was about to say that an hour is about enough time to drain coolant, and evac the a/c, lol. How long did it take you? Just curious, I have done several of these and know that they are not the most spacious of areas.
lol it took about 5 hours to get to the core about five min to change it then about 3 hours to put it all back together.

if i ever have to do another it will not take as long lol the first one is always the hardest.

thanks again guys

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
Not as long? think twice! I'm 60 and have done 3 in my lifetime. A 68 GTX, 73 lemans, and my 76 truck. Chances that your going to do the same car again,
nill. Your core must have been half pluged even though you still got some flow through it. Glad you got er' fixed. :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.