Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be installing longer coil springs in the front of my 55 chevy to raise it up a few inches. Do I have to install ball joint spacers to get the full effect of the longer springs? I have seen the C type spacers used on a couple of cars but they're kind of hard to find. Have any of you guys either used the C type or made your own?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Is your problem worn out front springs? If so, installing new stock front springs will raise the car up nicely. They are available at yoru lcoal CarQuest or O'Reilly parts store for less than $100 for the pair.
No problem, be happy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I just like the look of the front end a little higher. I found some springs in JC Whitney for about $95.00 a pair. I thinks they are about 4 inches longer than stock. I'm just not sure if ball joint spacers are needed.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Ball joint spacers are an invitation to cracked and broken A-frames. They were the cheapo way of jacking up a car back when it was in style. A good set of stock springs holds the car up nosebleed high for most folks.
Twist in, cram in, jam in, or any other spring "spacers" are just another cheap-john way of not buying new springs.
If the Speedway springs are made specifically for the 55-57 Chevies and don't require any other modification, except perhaps, longer shocks(?), there is no reason not to do it. But, while you're in there check out your upper and lower A-frame bushings, axle bumpers, and so forth. No use doing the disassembly more than once, is there?

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,734 Posts
You are probably adversly affecting you handling by raise with springs alone. Roll center and Camber Gain will be affected most. So will toe. The correct way would be install spindles made for this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts