Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy yall,

i've got a 97 chevy c-1500, it has a 4.6l engine and automatic trans. and has a problem. i could be driving down the road and my rpm guage quits and so does my speedometer, sometimes it goes up to 100mph, also at the same time the tranny wont go into overdrive, and when you step on the gas it wont hardly go, but you can cycle the key a few times or shut it off for about a min. and it will work sometimes for about 2 miles or sometimes all the way. has anyone ever experienced this?

thanks for the help,
shane

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
intermittant

Doc here:pimp:

The cause of most dash interments are poor grounding, loose plugs and corrosion.

Since it's the transmission involved (speed sensor, and TCC valve) I'd look at that harness first...If not there:

Remove the battery, Pull the Center cluster, Locate and Carefully CLEAN all plugs and card edges with a good electric Spray (non residue) and a burnishing brush. Be careful not to bend pins or rip traces from cards.

Check and repair (if needed) All your grounds from the cluster, under the dash, and at the computer area.

Pull the plugs from the Computer, Clean the pins on the connectors, and cards...

You might want to let an Auto Electric shop do this one, its CMOS/HMOS technology...(Static discharges can be fatal to the Computer)or if your real careful, you can do it in a "non`Static charged environment..Don't do it on your rug...

Also I was getting an "Intermittent" flashing Check engine light on my 80 Vette, Every "Lope" of the engine it would flash, Caused by a poor case ground on the computer..It was swinging in the breeze...I had to remount the computer, Clean the pins of Corrosion and add a Ground wire from the computer case to the battery...It went away for good.

Reassemble your cluster and computer, and insure ALL the plugs are seated and locked..Look for anything that may be chafing or shorting on the harnesses and re~install the battery, and give it a test.That should clean up the problem.

Doc:pimp:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.