Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The smooth-design hood on my 37 Ford Downs fiberglass coupe blew off at 45 mph due to a poor latch design (& no safety hook/catch) ripping the bolt/studs off flush from the underside in the process. The attachment to the hood skin was only with 4 ea. 1/4-20 flat hd machine screws (attached with fiberglass & resin). I have attempted to replace these in multiple locations many times & just can't get them quite right especially the 2 forward-most ones that attach higher from the edge. Attempted to buy a new hood only to be told that what's being sold are skins only with no hardware provisions on the underside for hinge attachment period. Have been trying to find a dimensioned bolt pattern that I might use as a guide to properly reattach my hood. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
167 Posts
The smooth-design hood on my 37 Ford Downs fiberglass coupe blew off at 45 mph due to a poor latch design (& no safety hook/catch) ripping the bolt/studs off flush from the underside in the process. The attachment to the hood skin was only with 4 ea. 1/4-20 flat hd machine screws (attached with fiberglass & resin). I have attempted to replace these in multiple locations many times & just can't get them quite right especially the 2 forward-most ones that attach higher from the edge. Attempted to buy a new hood only to be told that what's being sold are skins only with no hardware provisions on the underside for hinge attachment period. Have been trying to find a dimensioned bolt pattern that I might use as a guide to properly reattach my hood. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!
I can give you photos and dimensions of the factory bolt locations, but that's likely not what you're after?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Issue Resolved, Thanks!

I can give you photos and dimensions of the factory bolt locations, but that's likely not what you're after?
Thanks bill3337 that was the exact kind of help I was hoping for and was able to get it from a local 37 humpback belonging to a friend. The hinge arms swing in opposite directions & combined with the shape of the hood skin spotting the bolts was a little tricky. I measured the distance between the humpback's hood bolts on either side & that dimension got me in the ball park pronto.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please send me the drawings & pics from bill 3337. Any info re attachment of the engine ventilated side panels is welcome. My side panels do not have the 4 holes present so I can attach the side panels to the body.

My 37 is a Tudor all steel.

TY

·
Registered
167 Posts
Please send me the drawings & pics from bill 3337. Any info re attachment of the engine ventilated side panels is welcome. My side panels do not have the 4 holes present so I can attach the side panels to the body.

TY
i'll try to get you the dimensions tomorrow night. I have a set of the original hinges so can measure those. I've used the polished stainless hinges on mine. The hood side panels attach to a flange on the hinge at the rear and to a bracket off the grille at the front.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

TY
I never actually got the drawings & pics from bill3337 as I figured my spacing out taking measurements from a local 37 Humpback belonging to a friend. I got this done before bill3337 had a chance to forward the info to me. I see where he is planning to get the info for you, he has helped me in the past with info regarding other stuff. He is very knowledgeable & accommodating. Good Luck!

·
Registered
167 Posts
i'll try to get you the dimensions tomorrow night. I have a set of the original hinges so can measure those. I've used the polished stainless hinges on mine. The hood side panels attach to a flange on the hinge at the rear and to a bracket off the grille at the front.
Here are some photos and dimensions. The old hinges in the pictures are original Ford parts. You can see where the hood sides mount to the bracket from the grille at the front and down to the projection on the hood hinge at the back. Let me know if this is what you need. If not, let me know what else you'd like. Bill

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts