Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I’m looking for a complete tool set for my son for his birthday. I would prefer to only buy made in US stuff. All of my tools have been craftsman bought back when they were made in the US. Are there any tools that are sold in a complete set that are made in the US? A compromise choice would be tools made overseas as long as they are not made in China. Any suggestions?

Mike

·
Registered
425 Posts
Used USA tools might be a cost $$$$ advantage but might take a bit of on line and or garage sales looking. Also face book market and Craig’s list.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Stanley tools are made by the same company as Matco and used to make Craftsmen tools up until ~10 years ago

Even some of Snap On is made in China now, but China can produce quality products, it's just they are known for producing cheap crap.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I will not even pick up any tool that does not have made in USA. My hands just reject foreign crap and do not want to hold on.

At one time pretty much all tools were made in USA.........what happened?

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,450 Posts
I will not even pick up any tool that does not have made in USA. My hands just reject foreign crap and do not want to hold on.
oh please 🤦‍♂️

i'll assume your running around naked, starving and have no computer or internet at your house
welcome to a world economy, where everything is sourced to the low bidder

·
Registered
425 Posts
oh please 🤦‍♂️

i'll assume your running around naked, starving and have no computer or internet at your house
welcome to a world economy, where everything is sourced to the low bidder
Not really, but products NOT MADE IN CHINA that is my aim. Food is pretty much USA. Clothing is available from other places other than china. Most of my jeans are fairly old, some USA and some china and Indonesia. I pretty much use Apple products for electronic stuff. Unfortunately not much electronics made here. But tools is another matter. My tools are not from china nor any other place than USA. Yes they are somewhat older vintage but never the less USA made. See, tools should be good for more than a life time. That makes them useful for generations. I do feel for youth that cannot benefit from hand me down’s from dad and other sources to have quality USA tools. But if half an effort is made USA made stuff is out there to obtain. Craftsman used to be good USA made, not anymore ........china crap now.

If more Americans demanded American made quality and were not so much interested in cheap $$$, many of the issues today would not exist.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Its difficult to find (or even know) which tools are made in the USA anymore. Like you I grew up on Craftsman. I am an admitted tool-a-holic. I got tired of Craftsman running tool sales in the Sunday paper and then not having them when I drove over there. Also, their 1/4" ratchets became "junk". Right out of the store they didn't work . I bought a battery powered drill and it was great. The next time I bought one, the quality was down and the battery didn't last. Replacement batteries cost as much as the a drill&battery on sale. Gave up on them and bought Dewalt. Rugged drill, but when the 2 year warranty was up....they always failed. I had several Dewalt drills and batteries. When the last of the batteries failed I gave them to my son who still had some good batteries.
I started looking at Kobalt (Lowes). They have some pretty nice wrenches for a reasonable price and some good toool sets. I also like their brushless lithium ion drills and other tools. Yep, its not as well known, but those drills are powerful and long lasting. When buying these little power tools, I look at replacement battery cost and warranty. Kobalt batteries are substantially cheaper and have a 3 year warranty vs two years for others. A 4ah battery can be had for $50 (on sale) vs $100 for a Craftsman or $180 for 2 Dewalts.

I really don't care what the brand name is as most well known names make good quality wrenches. You have to look at availability. One of the best ratchets (flexable) is a Husky. I like some of the Stanley wrenches because they are longer, but you can't find them easily or complimentary stuff for a "set" of tools. I have more wrenches with different names on them than I can count, and I don't care what the names are. So, no real brand loyalty from me........but for a starter set I would look at Kobalt.

Here is a pegboard I made that has metric and standard wrenches arranged by size. I put the decimal size above the wrench size and parked this thing next to my lift. Now when I'm working under a car that has both std and metric fasteners..........if the wrench I have don't fit something I just hang it on the pegboard and grab the next larger/smaller size. Don't have to walk across the shop and grab 2 or 3 wrenches to make sure I get the right size. So again, no brand loyalty in my shop. The last picture shows that I was a Craftsman guy.................not any more though. I buy for value.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I’ve gone back to my plug in drills. The picking up a battery drill w/ almost dead battery gets old fast. Have only two battery drills (the oldest ones) and garage sale everything else. By the way they are craftsman 19v, really old stuff. Got battery’s on line that seem much better (1/2 the $$$$ too) than Sears store one’s. Yes, made in china, but so is Sears brand. Still the batteries cost more than the drills did new..........

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Take the battery pack apart and replace the rechargeable batteries ($5-10 bucks), solder a couple wires and glue the battery pack back together.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,450 Posts
Food is pretty much USA.
Unfortunately not much electronics made here.
If more Americans demanded American made quality and were not so much interested in cheap $$$, many of the issues today would not exist.
you don't shop much. food can be sourced all over the world, just like anything else.
we use to be the the king of electronics, unfortunately the 70s has passed. the chip issue with new vehicles is cuz they figured vehicle sales would tank, during the pandemic, so they canceled chip orders. plain and simple. we need to start making chips here, i just don't like how the current admin is going to finance it.
american quality? quality is not american, doing as little as possible is american. the uaw is a classic example, max pay for minimum work. thus everything went overseas, hard to compete with indonesia wages.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I’ve gone back to my plug in drills. The picking up a battery drill w/ almost dead battery gets old fast. Have only two battery drills (the oldest ones) and garage sale everything else. By the way they are craftsman 19v, really old stuff. Got battery’s on line that seem much better (1/2 the $$$$ too) than Sears store one’s. Yes, made in china, but so is Sears brand. Still the batteries cost more than the drills did new..........
I left out the fact that my original drills were NOT Brushless or Lithium Ion. The Kobalt ones I have now are Brushless and Lithium Ion. They come with a 2ah (amp hour) battery. You can buy the Kobalt on sale for $99 with the 2ah battery and a charger. You will be totally surprised with how much more powerful the little drills are. They also come with an extension handle to clamp on them because they are so powerful. The 2ah lasts pretty good, but for doing lots of work I would later purchase a 4ah battery on sale for $50. Let me emphasize that they do last a surprisingly long time when drilling, and they have a 3 year warranty. The drill itself is warrantied for 5 years. Now for $99, you can't complain. Also, if at any time you are dissatisfied with it, you can return it. What have you got to lose? I bet you will be very happy with one and end up buying some of the other battery tools they sell. One recommendation, don't hold the drill near your face when drilling. When they bite in they can hit you in the teeth if you aren't ready for their power. Its a totally different ball game from the old drills.
I held on to my old plug in drills for years now. I took 2 good ones to the Goodwill store last week. Just never use them anymore.

·
Registered
425 Posts
My drills, outlet plug in are 50 years old. The craftsman is all metal, no plastic 3/8” variable speed with a 1/2” chuck. It will twist your arm if it catches anything. The 3/8” Dewalt also plug in does everything I ask of it. A cheaper light weight model also from years ago is a high impact plastic case. Either one has snapped screw/bolt heads off. So power has never been a concern. These along with 2 craftsman portable 19 volt is all I will ever need. One is considerably older, heavier and twice the power of the other lighter one. I can assure you none of them were anywhere near $99. My chances of ever buying another drill is zero, nada.

PS be cautious of lithium batteries charging. And nice update on the Kobalt line.

·
Registered
119 Posts
All I can say is that you should go buy a Kobalt and give it a try. If you are not impressed with it, take it back and get your money back. What have you got to lose?

·
1949 Ford Coupe RESURRECTION
858 Posts
Strange that nobody has actually answered the OP's request/question. Rather than posting your own opinion/story, why not just answer the man's question?. If I knew of any American made tools, I would have answered his inquiry, but I don't know of any.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Strange that nobody has actually answered the OP's request/question. Rather than posting your own opinion/story, why not just answer the man's question?. If I knew of any American made tools, I would have answered his inquiry, but I don't know of any.
So your reply doesn't answer his question either, it supplied no helpful alternative or insight, you criticize attempts/effort to help, and when all is said and done.....your reply is only an opinion.

Also, at the end of his post the OP said........."any suggestions". Maybe he didn't get any benefit from what I posted, but he sure didn't get any benefit from your post either. At least I tried to be helpful.

·
1949 Ford Coupe RESURRECTION
858 Posts
ok, then try this:

and:
https://sktools.com/pub/media/dam/sktools/catalogs/GMTK.pdf

and:

and:\

and:

and:

and:

ARE YOU HAPPY, NOW, mr. ekimmo-whatever the hell your name is?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nope, just don't think people who have no content in their posts should be critizing those that at least attempt to provide some helpful information. If I post something thats incorrect, then I expect someone to correct me and add content to the thread. We all learn from that kind of give and take. Just taking potshots at people who spent their time trying to help others doesn't accomplish anything.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.