Hot Rod Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Guys,

I’m looking for a complete tool set for my son for his birthday. I would prefer to only buy made in US stuff. All of my tools have been craftsman bought back when they were made in the US. Are there any tools that are sold in a complete set that are made in the US? A compromise choice would be tools made overseas as long as they are not made in China. Any suggestions?

Mike
S K Wayne tools have always been my favorite hand tools. I still have most of my original set that I bought in 1968. I broke the flexible end of my 1/2" breaker bar a couple years ago and took it to a local hardware dealer and they repaired it right there in the store. I would say that is pretty good service for American made tools. If you can locate a dealer they would be my number one choice today. They could be made overseas by now, but they still have great quality standards.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have seen a lot of tools and toolbox’s for sale on Facebook market place, there’s a lot of guys retiring and none of there kids or grandkids want or know how to get dirty. I have seen a lot of nice stuff at good prices

·
Registered
11 Posts
Best bet is either garage sales offer up are craigslist but remember you won't get the lifetime warranty be tools changed owners I have went ahead and went with harbor freight icon series great tool and awesome warranty almost a 1/4 price of snap on had good luck for 3 years on them times have changed on finding a good American tool with a lifetime warranty that is honored correctly

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys,

I’m looking for a complete tool set for my son for his birthday. I would prefer to only buy made in US stuff. All of my tools have been craftsman bought back when they were made in the US. Are there any tools that are sold in a complete set that are made in the US? A compromise choice would be tools made overseas as long as they are not made in China. Any suggestions?

Mike
Hi, I am an "old school" tool person too. I grew up on Craftsman, SK and the such. Today, no matter what I am purchasing, I look for where the product is made. As another mentioned, it is indeed a world economy. But... I will look for the tool I am shopping for to be made in the US, otherwise I look to see if it is made somewhere other than China. China does manufacture some good products, but only "some" from my perspective. Also, I am a retired military Senior NCO, I do not relish supporting any communist government. I wish the best for there citizens, but not their governments.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think that govt organizations buy/are forced to buy Proto because of the fact they are mostly made in the US. Good hunting.

·
Registered
54 Posts
oh please 🤦‍♂️

i'll assume your running around naked, starving and have no computer or internet at your house
welcome to a world economy, where everything is sourced to the low bidder
Doesn’t mean we have to like it! The least an American can do is try to buy American, instead of sending money to a communist country. China is not our friend and probably never will be!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Guys,

Mike
There is no such thing as a "complete set". I have three triple stack, shop boxes. The box in my van, which goes to salvage yards, weighs about a hundred pounds. I have eight Lithium 18 Volt drills, and a half dozen AC - I don't want to change bits. I have two 5HP compressors - one in each garage, a dozen paint guns,,,.

And my set would not be complete without the four post lift, tire mount and balance machines, two oxy-acet, two MIG, and a TIG, floor shear, box-and-pan brake, floor mount drill press, three axis mill, metal lathe,,,.

And, a whole lot of Harbor Freight stuff. I do three stage pearl with ten dollar HF paint guns - hardly pays to clean them. Both quality and junk can be found many places. Tool users need to learn how to recognize the difference.

I did not try to get a "complete set", and hope they fit future jobs. When a job needed a tool, I got the tool. And the "set" grew like Topsy.

So get involved with whatever your son is doing, and help him with getting tools when he needs them, and you are so inclined.

As an aside, I would stop getting anything from China, but that needs to be a group effort.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I will not even pick up any tool that does not have made in USA. My hands just reject foreign crap and do not want to hold on.

At one time pretty much all tools were made in USA.........what happened?
Your politicians sold our American companies out for kick backs to get rich!

·
Administrator
9,902 Posts
The OP has not logged in for 4 days since he posted this thread. Since this thread has gone down hill. Closed

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Guys,

Thanks to all who posted on that original question. My setting doesn’t update me when each follow-up post is made and I hadn’t had a minute to look at the replies in a few days. Just to clarify, I was asking for tools not made in mainland China because I don’t want to support a murderous communist regime that I believe we might be at war with someday. Nothing at all against the Chinese people- I will happily buy quality tools made in Taiwan- I just refuse to support the Chicoms if at all possible. Sometimes it’s really hard even impossible because everything seems to be made there now but I feel compelled to try.

I will look into building a set from the sources many of you listed including second hand and those still making tools in the US. Thanks again.

Mike

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.