Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not own a hotrod but instead came here for paint help. I have been trying to paint this ABS plastic cover for my laptop (which i consider my hotrod)for over 2 weeks now and I just can't do it well. I purchased some HOK Shimrins spray paint at Wally world and I always end up with dust in it no matter how careful I am. I figured once the base coat looks bad why continue. Is anyone getting ready to spray some really nice color that would add to an already silver laptop? I was going to try for Tangerine but instead got nothing but frustrated. I would be willing to pay shipping to and from and also pay the cost of someone doing it if the price is fair. Anyone interested? I would pay via Paypal or other means possibly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
George,

Try wetsanding your ABS part with 400-500 grit sandpaper. Then dry & wipe down with clean paper towel (Bounty) using alcohol or enamel reducer and use a tack cloth just before painting. Use very light pressure with the tack cloth as the adhesive in the tack cloth will sometimes cause problems with the paint. Both sandpaper and tack cloths can be acquired at a paint store, especially those that sell to body shops. Using wetsanding will keep the dust issue at bay. Try painting in an empty garage after spraying floor down with water to settle dust. After paint is dry and if you still have imperfections in paint, you can wet sand with 1000 grit then buff to final gloss desired by hand.

If you've had your fill of messing with it, take it to Mako or another body shop.

Good luck,

Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well this was my previous procedure. I took the part and sanded it down using 400 grit then onto 600 grit all wetsanded. Then I cleaned the part really well using dish detergent and then let it dry. I then put on some rubber gloves and used rubbing alcohol to wipe it down. I then put on a Primer made for plastics. It looked really good. I wetsanded it smooth using 600 grit with good result and again wash and wiped it down. I used a tack cloth as well each time. I can get the paint to stick. Its laying down the Kandy basecoat that simply goes south on me. Always getting tiny fuzzes in it or something. I can't empty my garage as it is a wood shop more or less. Instead I made an area that I enclosed in plastic drop cloth but from me going in and out it does not work well. I think I jumped in to far by buying 3 seperate steps of paint for it. Base, Color, Clear for HOK Shimrins. I am going to wait till Spring and spray outside thus eliminating dust of the garage. I have 2 of these covers and for now I am going to paint one my favorite color....white. Thanx for your suggestions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well...it certainly sounds like you know what you're doing. Can't imagine where the fuzzes are coming from since you used a tack cloth unless from your clothing. When outdoors, I've found that bugs seem to enjoy the smell of paint since they always come and try and do a final death dance in my work. Bastards.

hope 38 special was able to help you since I wasn't

Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey you helped. Will I be able to buff the paint since its a plastic part by hand?
I bought some Krylon Fusion for Plastics. I am going to coat that with Duplicolor Illuminite paint. We'll see how that goes. Heck I didn't think anyone was going to respond. Thanks for taking the time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I figured buffing by hand would be safer because of heat warpage and/or the buffer throwing part across the room. You'll use a different paste for hand buffing rather than machine buffing. "Clear Coat Safe" is what I used...very mild grit (Turtle Wax brand). Machine buffing liquid also comes in a very mild in grit and may work if you already have that. As you probably know, it too comes in different grades of coarseness. I would put on enough paint to be able to sand/buff without going through color. Maybe use a plastic test part to see how it goes???
BTW, when I said empty garage, I meant devoid of cars and such so over-spray wouldn't be of concern. Didn't mean to imply you had to move out all your stuff. That Fusion should work well...I've used it on mini-blinds. If you do end up with more fuzzies, try and use buffing alone to knock them down and maybe just hit whats left with the finest paper you can get 1500 grit? and buff those spots back to shine. Please PM me and let me know how it goes. Good luck George.

Best regards,
Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts