Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently my '68 302 Ford engine starting running bad and missing out. ( All new points, condenser, cap rotor, wires, plugs and coil). I checked the intake for a leak by spraying carb cleaner around the base, and it seemed to have a leak at the rear of the manifold. The vacuum gauge I checked it with was vibrating, is this because of the intake leak?

I decided to check the intake bolts, and found ALL of them to be loose. Not one was torqued down to specs. I torqued them to 20ft lbs and now the engine runs worse. Can a loose intake manifold cause oil to get on the spark plugs?? #2, 4, 7 & 8 plugs had fresh oil on them.

About 6 mos ago I did a wet/dry compression check and all the cylinders checked out very good, between 154 & 172, so I felt like the bottom end is tight.

I have been planning to replace the heads anyway due to worn valve seals, should I figure that a fresh set of heads and new manifold gasket will pretty much eliminate all of the problems mentioned? Thanks for your help.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,822 Posts
Vacuum guage indicates either bad timing or worn out guids. Guides plus the intake leaking oil is probably the result of oil fouled plugs. Get the heads worked on and get a new intake gasket.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.