Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 72 C20 with a 350 auto that was just rebuilt. The linkage is very loose and getting looser. I have to shift well past drive to engage drive and then move the lever back to have the indicator in the right place. I looked in my manual but there is nothing that helps. Is this a problem with the linkage on the column or on the transmission or what? The linkage levers under the hood seem fine.

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
Dont know exactly how yours goes, but check to see if there are bushings at the joints of the linkage. If each is worn a bit, it adds up to a lot. Also, there is probably a pivot on the frame down by the tranny....My Blazer has a nylon bushing in there that wears causing looseness.............

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
There is a grommet or bushing of rubber in the shift lever on the steering column that the shift link installs in with a cotter pin. These are available at your Chevy/GMC dealer for about $3. You may also have a nylon bushing at the shift link on the transmission which you should replace as well.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The trans was rebuilt by a very good machinist who only work on chevy trannys. The shifting lever seem tight. What do I need to do to get to the column bushing?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts