Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1985 Mitsubishi Montero and I've had to replace the starter 6x's because the bendix keeps going out I've been told to shim but nobody has mitsubihi shims in stock so I tried to use washers on the mounting bolts but that doesnt seem to help. I looked at some ford and chevy shims but nobody can tell me how there supposed to go in. ne help you guys can give me with this would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Ryan Bechtold

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Does the starter make an unusually loud whining noise when it engages the flywheel? If so it may need to be shimmed.

Is the small drive gear on the starter getting chewed up? If it is, you're flywheel might be bad shape as well. Have a look at the teeth on it to be sure.

Try the Mistubishi dealer for some shims if they needed. I haven't come acroos too many import app that used shims on the starters myself.

It could be a quality control problem with the supplier if there's no apparent damage to the flywheel or the starter drive gear

Larry.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've heard his starter. Its the mixture of a whine and a mixture of a grinding sound, these are aftermarket starters and the dealer doesn't carry the shims for these neither does any parts store.

Should we attempt to put a factory starter back in?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Do a goooogle search, "1985 Mitsubishi starter problems", to see if it is a factory problem and what is the correct shim thickness.

"Guessing" for the alignment with washer shims is not a good plan.
You may have damaged the edges of the flywheel teeth if it is a whining and grinding noise

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
starters

i have replaced the flywheel clutch and battery cables is there any other posssibilitys. I am working on turning this into a mud runner, i have to much time and money to just give up. I did all the replacements but now i cant find another starter to see if i found the problem. Everything is stock except the 500 cfm carb and a set of headers i plan to run this untill the motor blows then im going to tear it down to the frame and start over with a small block chevy. any help you guys can give me on this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Ryan Bechtold

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Disconnect the large wire coming from the motor that connects to the solenoid. That will keep the starter from spinning. Put some modeling clay, play dough or something similar on the drive gear. Install the starter and bump the switch to make the solenoid engage the flywheel.

Take the starter back off, be careful not to mush the clay/play dough on the drive gear, and look at the thinnest spot. If the clay left on the drive gear isn't at least 0.060" to 0.100 thick between the teeth then you have a problem. If it's more than 0.200" it needs to be moved closer.

The starter's design doesn't seem to have a provision to move it away from the flywheel to increase or decrease the clearance between the flywheel ring gear and the starter drive gear.

If the clearance is too great or too small then you know what the problem is. I just don't have an easy solution for it.

Larry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.