Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:pain: :pain: I have lost my instructions for my piston rings they are speed pro e251k 030 there is a ring with purple onn it and one with pink. Which one is the top compression ring :pain: :pain:

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,089 Posts
Not sure about the paint colors but take a look at the rings near the gap. Look for a small dot on the top. If it's on the same side as the chamfer on the I.D. of the ring then it's a top ring. If the dot is on the opposite side of the chamfer then it's a second ring.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My rings both have dots on one side but one has the chamfer on the opposite side and one does not have it at all. the ring with the chamfer on it is lighter colored metal.. if this is the top and the chamfer is on the opposite side of the dot does the dot go up or down

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,089 Posts
The one with the chamfer on the side opposite the dot is the second ring. For both rings the dots face up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know why the rings are made of different metals id is obvious that on is lighter than the other in color, and should i purchase another set of rings that they both have the chamfer is there an advantage to that sorry not trying to be a pain just curious and want to do it right one time

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
Most current rings use some type of coated top ring (chrome,moly...) the second one is usually still iron. The lighter colored one is most likely the top ring and the darker one the iron second ring.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one of my rings has no chamfer and it is darker and the other has a chamfer opposite the dot now i am confused :confused:

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,089 Posts
That is odd. The e251k set is a moly ring set which is good for your application. The difference is color is the two different materials that are used for the top and second rings. In your case we just need to figure out which one is the top ring and which one is the second ring. As far as which way they go in is easy. The dots always face up.

The speed-pro sets I've used have always had a cast iron second ring which is black in color. The moly faced top ring is shinier and if you look at the face it will look like it's 3 laminates because the moly is actually an insert.

From what I'm reading from you the black one has no chamfers on the I.D. and the shinier one has a chamfer but it's opposite the dot?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The darker ring has no chamfers but if you look at the outside edge it does kind of look like three layers and the other ring is shiny, and the chamfer is opposite the dot i think the darker ring is the top i have a ring set for a lawnmower and thery are cast tings and the lighter ring that i have looks like a cast ring on the outside. could the moly ring look darker than the cast ring

thank you for you troubles

1 - 10 of 10 Posts