Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran my 71 chevelle last night for the first time. I have a 71 350 chevelle with hooker headers, to a 2.5 inch collector to 18 inches of 2.5 inch pipe to magnaflow mufflers. Brand new mufflers stainless steel, But when I lay into her it is loud, I mean real loud, does anyone else have a setup like this? I don't have tailpipes yet as the shop is making them for me as we speak. I don't think I could run this around town without getting a ticket??? You cant even here your self think in the car, hahahaa. Grant it the mufflers end at about the back of the front seat so it resonates in the car, but my buddy heard me from about 1 mile away like I was right next to him. My girlfriend ran out of the house and thought something was wrong, it has a nice rumble at idle, but it is REALLY loud when you hit it???

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
My camaro is the same way, I have hookers with 3inch pipes to the mufflers, With no tailpipes yet either and man when you get in it , It's pretty loud i am going to put tail pipes on mine too. Right now it vibrates windows everywhere i go lucky i have'nt got a ticket yet. Just wanted to add I do really like it when i get in it though :D Cole

·
Registered
15,298 Posts
71haulnazz said:
I ran my 71 chevelle last night for the first time. I have a 71 350 chevelle with hooker headers, to a 2.5 inch collector to 18 inches of 2.5 inch pipe to magnaflow mufflers. Brand new mufflers stainless steel, But when I lay into her it is loud, I mean real loud, does anyone else have a setup like this? I don't have tailpipes yet as the shop is making them for me as we speak. I don't think I could run this around town without getting a ticket??? You cant even here your self think in the car, hahahaa. Grant it the mufflers end at about the back of the front seat so it resonates in the car, but my buddy heard me from about 1 mile away like I was right next to him. My girlfriend ran out of the house and thought something was wrong, it has a nice rumble at idle, but it is REALLY loud when you hit it???
Hang on till you get the tail pipes and see how much that quiets it down. Things that help reduce noise are a cross over pipe, ahead of the mufflers this also allows each bank to share the mufflers so any one cylinder can take advantage of twice the muffler and tail pipe area that stand alone duals would see per side. If your mufflers are under the front seat then space will dictate an "H" style crossover. If you moved the mufflers behind the rear axle, then there's space for an "X" pipe. "X" pipes consistently show a bit better power and a slightly lower ET than "H" pipes but their tone quality is in a higher frequency making them kind of screechy instead of the more mellow rumble of the "H" pipe.

I prefer binging tail pipes out under the bumper, this is an aerodynamic low pressure area that always follows the car when it's moving. So the exhaust empties into a partial vacuum which provides some suction on the exhaust end of the engine. While the added length and curves in the pipe may result in a break even of back pressure compared to side or under the car dumps. But the issue with side and under dumps is unless you do some aero research you could end up putting the exhaust into a high pressure area that wants to push it back into the pipe instead of helping pull it out.

Bogie

·
81 Vette
77 Posts
I have almost the same set up. 357ci in a 81 vette, dynamx headers 2 1/2 dual with magnaflows. The mufflers are at the back of the car. No drones at this location but a real bad rrraaapppp at wot. Installed a x pipe before the mufflers and the rap went away . Not quite as loud wot but nice rumble at idle. I think if you get the pipes out the back and do the x or h pipe before the mufflers you'll be happy with the sound and performance

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had some trouble with putting 2 and 1/2 inch pipes out of my headers becuase of the tranny cross memeber. Thats why i had the custom exhaust done.....most kits I call on are for stock headers. Anyways, I drover around town and got some good comments about the rumble but also some bad ones. I understand as it is loud. The magnaflows are like straight pipes with baffles surrounding the flow, rather than having diverters and baffles directly in the flow of the exhasut. I will never use anything but magnaflow from now on. I highley suggest them. I have never had a mod that I could feel so much of a difference in power. The old mufflers that I was using really restricted this beast from screaming. God i love muscle cars.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.