Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jon,
With all the recent problems with the Lounge, ie, members vs. moderators, debates, and assorted B/S, I think I have a solution.

Is there a way to "allow" posts based on contribution level?
IE, If you have 50 "reply" posts in Body-Exterior, or Engine, etc. and you would get a corresponding amount available to use in Lounge. This would eliminate the B/S in lounge. They would have to reply to a topic to get a post in Lounge. The nonsense replies would be modded out and not counted. A high amount of pulled posts would identify a "Troll" and subsequent removal.

With the advent of IM, a person could list their IM address, so conversations could be maintained, such as Sunday Nights Talks.

You have a great board, Jon. I enjoy it daily. I just wish some of these guys would get it through their heads, that its NOT THEIRS! They think that just because they post some crap in Lounge , that they should control the content.

Kudos to you and the Mods!

·
Hotrodders.com Administrator
3,201 Posts
Thanks for the thanks beenaway.

I like your idea -- there are a few ways we could implement that type of concept. We could also just set a specific number of posts you would need to post in the Lounge -- say, 50?

Interested to hear what other people have to say about this.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
At the risk of receiving one of Killerformula's famous "You got somethin' on your nose" awards, I'd like to second the Kudos from Beenaway.

I joined this board about a year ago and the process went like this...I came, I saw, I liked, I stayed.

And there are two huge reasons why I stayed. 1) The unbelievable knowledge and experience available from all the members, past and present, and 2) the WAY the board was run...good mods, fair rules, congenial participants, and a chance to have a little fun in the lounge for those who chose to do so.

To my knowledge the mods have NEVER interfered with or disallowed a legitimate hot rodding question or a legitimate hot rodding answer - even when it might have been stupid, naive, or flat out wrong. I know because I've been the stupid, naive and flat out wrong party on any number of occasions.

And the central purpose of this board and its mods is to foster the exchange of knowledge regarding hot rodding...not to spend their time refereeing fist fights in the lounge or editing our posts for offensive and derogatory language. We should ALL have the self control and good common sense not to be abusing the privilege of having a lounge. We should ALL live by the motto: "When in doubt...leave it out."

But when abuses do occur, and they will from time to time, I have no problem at all with an iron fisted response by the mods. Is it democratic? Nope. Is it always just and fair? Nope. Does it make for a good board? Yup. And THAT is the bottom line. A good board comes first. Our personal rights and privileges come second. And I'm sure Jon has known that from the very beginning.

It seems to me there is plenty we can talk about without degrading someone's race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, IQ or national origin. And if we can't...then we have no business having a lounge at all.

So if you find that your posts are being censored, edited, or sent to the dump...take the hint. You're not posting in the spirit of things here on HR. Com. Either cut out the offensive and derogatory language or take it to another board where such talk is welcomed...and leave us to talk hot rodding. It's why we're here.

Dewey

·
Administrator
18,438 Posts
Not a bad idea. I think the 50minimum in the tech forums would be the better route. A lot of the members spend most of their time in the lounge, because they don't really have any questions right now as they don't have projects on the go right now. They can still hang out in the lounge and hang out with people with the same interests. Also, many of them are here to learn and although they post mostly in the lounge, they read the tech stuff.

The lounge is not a bad place, but a few members seem to make it that way..............won't mention any names.

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only reason I mentioned the post for post deal; is that this way, you have to regularly participate in the other forums. Not just congregate in Lounge. Myself included. (Thats where I got the idea!)

You don't have to be the one ASKING questions Ponch. Your always a helpful guy. Each response is a ticket to the lounge. This way, the B/S responses earns you a one way ticket to "troll nation". Easy way to identify trolls.
If your a newbie and DON'T have the answers, and want to be part of the board, a little research would do you more good, than starting a poll about what color underwear the Easter bunny wears.

I think cutting down the Lounge posting would be beneficial to the board as a whole. Who knows, maybe a 5 "Lounge" post per day limit? A little judicial use of the keyboard? Only make posts that count?

Ya know, I coulda been a genius, but I hit myself with a wrench as a kid....

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
So we can only post as many post in the lounge as in tech forums? That might infest the tech forums with people just trying to get more posts. How bout we shut down the lounge untill everybody cooled down, say a month, and then it's back open.

Mike

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
I like the idea of needing a minimum amount of tech posts before you can go to the lounge.

I would like to add that it's just one person who's started all of this hub bub about the lounge being in turmoil.

Same thing happened a few months ago.

I really don't think we have an emergency concerning the lounge, but I DO like the minimum tech post requirement. Keeps the lounge lizards down a bit. I guess I'm a lounge lizard.

Brian

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Nightfire said:
So we can only post as many post in the lounge as in tech forums? That might infest the tech forums with people just trying to get more posts.
This would be my worry as well. The mods don't need the extra work of weeding out filler "tech" posts by the lounge lizards so they can get their post count up high enough to infest the lounge with their mindless drivel once again. That said, I'll go along with whatever is decided.

Centerline

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
As some have already posted, that system would fill up the tech. forum with a lot of junk posts to try and get there required post count to be eligible to post in the lounge and there is already enough junk posts being made.

There is only about four members that start whining about the lounge and the rules and the mods. And that is about the only place that they ever post. I guess just give them the lounge and maybe that will stop some of the junk posts in the tech forums.

I'm sure there are some new members that will never post answers, but they ask some questions and they may never have enough questions to ask to qualify for the lounge.

I post there some, and I don't mind clicking a button to get there.

Troy

·
Missing You
300 Posts
Why don't ya'll just do away with the Lounge and get it over with?

Jon wants this site to be all tech anyway, why come here to hang out and have a good time? Post your tech and knowledge, get your information and be on your way.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I too agree with the 50, maybe 75 posts to be lounge bound. I have spent a lot of time just reading the Tech posts and seldom typed any responses or questions because of the ease of finding the answers. There's probably a quite a few more that do the same for the same reason. For Tech content, this site is #1. The lounge does kinda detract from it once in a while. I don't remember the Monte site that I read about at Monte city, but the Head Admin shut the site down because it had gotten overrun in a flame war. It's back up, but something like that might easily happen here too if it weren't for the Mods who do their jobs. Very well I might add, IMO. My hat's off to those guys.

·
Banned
431 Posts
my God, yall are going to "butter up" this place until no one wants to be here.

like BBB said, Jon wants this to be all Tech and IS going to take away the lounge anyway at some point, so why not do it now?
ahhh, i think i know why....... because believe it or not the lounge is actually a large part of this site.
a lot of the old timers like to complain about the lounge, but how many can stay away? think about it.... everyone loves BS to a certain extent; you may not want to admit it, but no one is twisting your arm to go read the BS in the lounge now are they?

yall want to complain, but i freaking guarantee that if the lounge wasn't here, that well over 90% of the members would leave.

you may think that, that is over shooting it or that i'm just a freaking idiot, but was i the only one that noticed how many posts some of the older and more "respected" members actually had in the tech forums after the lounge posts dropped off? NOT VERY MANY. which says a lot, no?

so basically weather you want to believe it or not, the lounge feeds this site.
i think that if this were to go into effect you would notice a major drop in new members and tech posts answered.

but hey don't take my word for it, DO IT and see if you can prove me wrong......... hell, i'm just a "lounge lizard" what do i know?

·
Administrator
18,438 Posts
I agree, in that the lounge has it's place. We are always going to have a certain amount of troublesome members, whether we have a lounge or not. At least with the lounge all the "dinks" can hang out in one place.

That includes me sometimes, as I do enjoy a bit of controversy from time to time.

·
3,201 Posts
Jon wants this to be all Tech and IS going to take away the lounge anyway at some point, so why not do it now?
akm, this is not my goal, nor have I ever stated it to be. I don't appreciate you declaring this as fact, without bothering to ask my opinion, or my goals. I would be happy to invest time in discussing with you my goals for the Lounge, or for this website. Yes, I do want to de-emphasize the Lounge. No, I don't want to eliminate it completely. If I wanted to, I would. This train of thought seems to imply that I am on some sort of deceptive and manipulative long-term goal of eliminating the Lounge, which simply isn't true. From my perspective, this sort of blanket statement without asking my opinion seems disrespectful.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
The major problem I forsee (wearing foil cap) is useless posts in the tech sections. There seeems to be a lot more "discussion" not pertaining to the subkect at hand, since you changed the post count rules. A lot more work for mods, how would you keep the post count honest? My suggestion would be to limit the number of lounge pages, perhaps 5? many discussions are being brought up from new members that hadn't been around for the original. Case in point, What do you consider a hotrodder? I DO believe the lounge is spinning out of control at times, something needs to be done. Dan

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
I still keep coming back to the thought, why would someone come here to live in the lounge in the first place? There are unlimited better opportunities all over the web to spew sophisticated uncensored opinions, foul language, hateful personal attacks, You know, all the fun stuff. Why come here and try that since you only look like a fool and get absolutely no support and are severely and quickly censored?

I post in the lounge occasionally but if it went away, I couldn't care less. By all means, make it available as a diversion for serious hot rodders who are here for the good stuff. Professional lounge lizards should be encouraged to go where they and we will be happier, which ain't here! 50, 70, even 100 sounds good to me.

·
3,201 Posts
I agree -- the Lounge is so common. It's like a coca-cola. You can get one anywhere. The fact that it's OUR coca-cola doesn't mean so much to me.

I am less concerned about tech threads degrading due to people putting in "fluff" posts to boost their post count. I will HAPPILY reduce the post count to zero (or less!) for those who are caught degrading our precious tech threads with unnecessary posts, or one word "Me too!"-type posts. If anyone EVER notices ANYONE doing such a thing, please notify me immediately (publicly, in a board thread, or confidentially by PM if you prefer) so that I can investigate.

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
You are correct Jon. Moderators have much more leeway in the tech forums to nuke inappropriate stuff so I don't see a problem with people stocking-stuffing there. And if that drives away a large percentage of non-tech types, what is the problem with that? Actually I liked the board better anyway when it had only a few thousand members!

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
I'd like to offer my two cents, as well. I think the majority of the problems you're experiencing in the lounge come from the fact that the lounge's purpose is not clearly defined. I get the impression that you, Jon, have a "feeling" of what the lounge should be, and that is shared and understood by some, and not others. I think before anything else is done you guys (you and the mods) should sit down and define what you want the lounge to be. Not what it is now, not what the problems are with it and not how to "de-emphasize" it. Once you have a clear definition of the lounge, then you can come to us and tell us what its going to be. So far you've said we're "changing" the loung, eliminating post counts, etc, but you've not really been clear to what end you're doing this. The old option for the main page still defines the lounge as "a place to hang out and discuss non-automotive stuff." By your current definition, nothing is wrong with your lounge. If you have it clearly defined, I think many of the problems will take care of themselves.

I don't know if a minimum post count is the best way to get people to deter the use of the lounge. The problem with this is, as many people have cited, there are a lot of young guys in the lounge. There is a reason for this people! These are young guys who are almost ALL interested in hotrodding. I challenge you to find more than half a dozen who aren't! The problem is, how many of us had enough money when we were 16 to build a car, much less buy one and keep it running? These young guys just don't have the money to do it! Now look in the tech forums. 99% of these questions come from somebody who is currently working on a ride (i.e. is old enough to have the knowhow and money to hotrod) and has run into a problem or needs advice about something. 99% of the answers come from guys who have either done the same research or had the same problem! So are these guys crowding up the lounge not hotrodders because they don't have the money to do it? I just don't want to see attempt to get people to post more in the tech forums who shouldn't be posting there. Not to be a jerk, but I've already seen enough threads started by a 16-17 year old guy who's never turned wrench on a motor in his life trying to ask for advice about some 35,000 dollar horsepower TV style jegs catalog build that's never going to happen and wasting bandwidth that could be used for real motors with real issues.

K

1 - 20 of 68 Posts