Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i put 20 min. on my ram jet zl1 454 but oil pressue sits around 5 pounds at idle it will climb to 30 to 35 @ 3 grand change oil pump no change on snap on gauge it sound great but im still worried

·
Registered
11 Posts
low oil press

You better get on that low press problem right away. When the problem is not obvious I have been lucky to find the problem like this. Remove the pan and the oil filter, connect another pump to the oil filter fitting and turn it on. you may need a remote oil filter adapter for this, Oil will leak out of the bearings and some will drain back from the head but it will pour out of the problem area. Once I found the plug behind the cam gear leaking no pouring another time I found the front main and both 1 & 2 rods were spun. on another engine I found too much oil going to the rocker arms and had to restrict the top end. ( special race engine) you will make a mess but you wont use more than a quart of oil. put a large tray under the motor and turn on your pump. you will find it I promise

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Hmmmm

Hey 23, How's it going? I read your first post on this issue and thought I had heard something about low output oil pumps on these engines also. It helps if you keep your question on the same thread, that way folks can get all the info to make a reasonable attempt to help. Now, back to the problem at hand. It seems in your first post, you mentioned a remote filter. You might want to check your line connections, they might be reversed. Engine oil filter adapter "out" port to remote oil filter "in" port, remote oil filter "out" port to engine oil filter adapter "in" port. I did a remote filter setup once where the engine adapter was not marked "in" and "out" so I guessed and I guessed wrong. Oil pressure gauge read real low so I shut it down and reversed the lines on the engine adapter, then everything was okay. I suppose it was trying to pump the oil backwards through the filter. Check it out, could be your problem. :) olnolan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.