Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure I might make a few of you laugh out loud, but by any chance does anyone know where I might be able find a set of lower control arms for a 58 Pontiac?? Thought I would take a shot ... Thanks 🙂✌😎

·
Registered
628 Posts
Do you mean front? I don't know if the Pontiac parts are the same as a Chevy but IF they are, the main stamping is the same as on a '63-82 Corvette which may be easier to find plus new re-pops are available. The welded-on brackets such as for the sway bar are different but can be swapped or fabricated. Weirdly, GM designed 'Vette chassis around the Impala parts up front, with left/rights switched. I imagine you could find a photo on the 'net and compare it to yours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean front? I don't know if the Pontiac parts are the same as a Chevy but IF they are, the main stamping is the same as on a '63-82 Corvette which may be easier to find plus new re-pops are available. The welded-on brackets such as for the sway bar are different but can be swapped or fabricated. Weirdly, GM designed 'Vette chassis around the Impala parts up front, with left/rights switched. I imagine you could find a photo on the 'net and compare it to yours.
Thanks for your input. From what I have been able to find out, the 58 Pontiac front lower control arms are unique. They are a direct bolt on to my 38 Pontiac and is the base for upgrading the front suspension. Buick, Olds, and Pontiac in the 30's and 40's, had similar frame setups, curved frame rails and hub center line located more forward than other cars. Chevy's had pretty much straight ones. Finding a pair of 58's is the first step in doing away with the knee action shock system. Allows you to build a more modern IFS ... Any advice that doesn't envolve cutting the frame and welding a GM front clip or a Mustang II front end would be much appreciated. I have not ruled out a Fatman Fabrication custom front end clip either. They put together a front clip made especially for my frame, with my provided dimensions. They make it look extremely easy. Search YouTube - Fatman Fab and you'll see what I'm talking about. I was just hoping to not having to take apart the whole front end. The control arm route let's me do that with less disassembly. Thx

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
What is wrong with the old ones?

If they are rotted or unsafe in someway they can still serve as a template to build some new ones. Or take measurments to find something close to modify.

A arms(in my opinion) are not a area to save weight. Build them at or a little above the strength of the old ones even if they end up a bit heavier.

Old thread:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts