Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1994 mustang v6 3.8..the cooling fan is hot wired. it's always on...it has just started to get cold where I live and I have been using the heat. Here is the problem: When I turn on my heat and the car is at idle I have no heat blowing in the car, this is when the temp guage begins to rise making the car overheat, as I start moving and increasing in speed I get heat blowing out of the vents and the temp guage decreases..but as soon as I stop at a light, and give the car no gas, i get cold air blowing out of vents and guage rises. When the car gets into the hot zone coolant starts coming out of the radiator..but when it cools down it stops.....Im thinking this could be because the cooling fan is keeping the motor really cold, on top of the really cold weather, and the thermostat is only opening when the car is accelerating and closes when stopped at light because it's not up too temp..im not really sure what the deal is..im thinking maybe getting a lower temp thermostat for the car because of my lack of a cooling fan that goes on and off automatically.. Any suggestions or possible solutions would be great. thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
very confusing....

Isn't your car supposed to have a fan that is on all the time that idles at around 3,000 to keep the engine cool. I would get a higher degree thermostat instead of a lower one. The higher the temperature thermostat the longer the anti freeze is in your block warming up. When it opens it circulates the coolant into the rad to cool down. But something dosn't make sense here...

OK, so your cooling fan is always on.. but when your stopped at a set of lights the car over heats and rad fluid comes out to your overflow. If the fan is on all the time, And it's cold out, your car should be running great. The v6's are pretty good for NOT overheating.could be your thermostat is broken and isn't opening at all which is causing your engine to overheat, the hot air your getting is the heat disipation from engine, the reason it cools down is becasue you have cold air hitting your rad when your driving and usually the cooling fans speed up in rpm when the engine does. CAn you give us more details on your car..?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 1994 v6 mustang. it has 125k on it..has a new radiator...as i read back my first post i get confused myself..was kinda tired when I wrote it..but what it comes down to is im overheating when i turn on the heat at an idle but only cold air comes out. the only time i get heat is when im moving and thats when the temp goes down. maybe this will make you better understand the situation..thankyou for the quick response!

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Replace the thermostat and the rad cap, I once had four bad thermostats in a row new out of the box complete with the little "inspected by operator #..." tag inside the box. I test everyone before I install them now.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Im a bit confused ,,
are your water pump to heater hoses and switch,taps , hooked up correct,..
Simo,confused nearly always,,.

when at idle water pump pressure and or water pumped at xolume is not really moving heaps,,.

iff you dont have a thermostat or stuck open one that would be a problem,,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts