Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Here`s how I do it, being I don`t have a tool to install it either. First I use a file to deburr the end of the crank snout. Next I used sand paper to sand down any high spots. Then I clean the crank up with carb cleaner, checking all the passages in the process. When the crank is clean I use a piece of steel pipe, not much different than what would be in used in a house or business. With a screw on cap on the end of the pipe, I ease the gear on, lube the surface, then use a 1 hand small sledge hammer to drive it on. In the past I`ve also used a piece of exhaust pipe I had laying around. I`ve seen some guys use a hammer to drive it on, and a broken or cracked gear would be the result.

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
You keep working on it till you can slide it on by hand! If you don't, and miss the keyway, it's going to be a pain getting it back off to try again. It should be JUST loose enough to go on the crank and over the key.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
..........or if it's real tight put it in the oven at 300 deg for 15 min. or so. this way it expands just enough to slip over the crank, make sure you have the key in there when you do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.