Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bob
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,, I've counted on you guy's in the past and you've always come through.
My son in law has a 1954 Chevy wagon with the torque tube, he wants to lower the *** end, what's the best way to do that without a lot of cutting and welding. I told him the right way but he wants to keep it simple.. :boxing:

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,027 Posts
Is he wanting to go away from the torque tube? If so, get kit AS-1021CCG (Nova rear end) or AS-1021CFG (Ford rear end), about 1/2 way down the pages at:

http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/page31.html

This will lower it some, give you springs designed to take the torque that the tube used to, and give you modern gas shocks. If he wants it lower, he can use blocks. But remember, these cars don't have a lot of kick in the frame and it will start bottoming out.

·
Bob
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
about the tranny

OK, now will the old three speed need some attention??
Will he have to make some kind of cover for the tail shaft cover, where the bell hook on?? :cool:
How about an upgrade to a newer tranny, are the bolt patterns the same?? I can't remember,, :confused:

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,027 Posts
I guess I assumed you would be running a different tranny. I'm a later V8/automatic kind a guy. There are probably a few straight and manual guys who can advise you better than me on this one.

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,027 Posts
Doesn't look like anyone else is going to chime in.

I believe that if he gets rid of the torque tube, he will have to change the tranny. Unless someone has a conversion kit. A later 3 speed is longer, IIRC. Not sure about the bolt pattern. If the car was originally a 3 speed, I think it had the splash and pray babbit beater engine. He may be better off to get a later 6 and 3 speed from a 60's car. Of course, these are getting harder to find.

A crate 350 backed by a turbo 350 is just so much easier. And more dependable. If you are going to go 100% restoration, I can see going back all original. But if you are going to modify it anyway (lowering), why stick with 50+ year old technology.

And I can see going with a modified 6 and more modern 3 speed to get that 50's hot rod feel to the car. But, just about anything you could imagine for an engine tranny combo is going to cost more than the 350/350 combo and cause you more problems.

Just my 2 cents. Pass it on to you son-in-law, for what it's worth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.