Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Im new at this and just bought this car. I want to keep it pretty stock but I do love that lowered look in the back and perhaps the front. Is it difficult to lower the back (and front) 3 inches? Do lowering blocks work in this instance without too much aggrevation? Any sources for the required parts? Thanks. Coop

·
Registered
139 Posts
COOPTN, hi, I'm someone new to this also.It depends on the type of suspension, if you have struts in the front you will probably want to go with a set of lowered spindles and/or springs. In the back I don't know off hand but if your van has leaf springs then you can use the lowering blocks and you might have to get a shorter shock for the rear also. I'm not an expert so you may want to get other opinions.

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,025 Posts
A lot depends on what you are going to do with the car. Lowering blocks will get the rear down. Fatmans has dropped uprights for your car. However, I am using the following on my 41. I think the products are great (this should get a bunch of back and forth started!) and I recommend them.

http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/productdet.cfm?prodID=1010
with the dropped spindles, sway bar, and power R&P

http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/page27.html
AS-1019CG

Modern gas charged, tube type shocks. Disc brakes. Power rack and pinion steering (you could get by with manual - I'm just getting lazy in my old age). I do intend to make mounts which will drop from the frame to the lower control arm bolt so that at least the rear bushing will be in double shear (I am not sure if I can do the same on the front. I will if I can.).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey Coop,
I think Fatman Fabrications has spindles to lower your '48 with the stock suspension. Lowering blocks are a pretty easy way to do the back.
Just remember low cars are cool lookin'but,you don't want to go so low that it is a problem to drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts