Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
your not going to find any kits for a car like that.. 2-3" would be easy with lowering blocks and shorter coils in front, but I think the '54 Packard uses king pins instead of balljoints, which will throw off the Camber.. you would need dropped spindles then, which I do not belive are available. and at that point you would need to do a front clip on it..

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Packardrat said:
Ok im new to hot rodding but, I have a question I have a 1954 packard clipper deluxe. I want to lower it 2-3 inches I can't find any kits... Help me out please!
Besides matt167's advice, the body's mounted onto the frame rails with mounts that are usually fairly tall. By removing the originals and replacing w/either modified OEM or fabricated body mounts, you can get a lower look to the body, w/o sacrificing any ground clearance or changing the front end geometry a bit.

You obviously have to pay attention to clearances, etc. but doing this- along w/the other suggestions- will make a noticeable difference.

A much more radical approach that's often used by rodders, is to remove the front frame and replace it w/a late model subframe. This gives a couple benefits- engine mounts for a modern V8, disc/power brakes, improved steering (either late model OEM or R&P), lowered stance, better ride, etc.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you could post a photo of the front suspension, there might be other alternatives to just cutting coils or a sub-frame. I have lowered many odd ball (no offense) suspensions by altering the control arms. If you step the lower arm and re-angle the upper ball joint mount as required you can relatively easily lower the front end 1-2 inches. That process along with cutting the springs slightly a 3" drop or more is possible and still be able to align the car. The rear is easier with either lowering blocks, or different spring hangers.

Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.