Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Adjustable Vacuum Modulator

If the cam does not allow for enough vacume run a pump and a canister

Then disconect and plug the kickdown cable. It will still downshift just fine.

If you want to downshift you can do it manually. Just be careful. I have lost 2 th400's because I removed the reverse lockout due to junk ratchets being to much of a pain to pull up.

You need the tv cable(diffrent) on a 700/200 not on a 350/400.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As I remember it was a '68 Cutlass that had the kickdown on the pedal. Of course, we were taking the 350 out and putting in a 700-R4, so it was not really relevant to our interests. Had to do a good bit of finagling and fangling to connect the simcasts TV cable (which IS important on a 700-R4!) to the Holley a carb, despite getting an allegedly all-inclusive kit designed to work with exactly that application. Just another one of those things that makes us laugh at the motor trader magazine articles where everything bolts up perfectly, just order it from the catalog and you're good to go.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi i was looking for some ideas on how to make the TH350 kickdown cable work with the LS drive by wire system.

thanks!
Assume you are trying to mate a 350 to an LS and have all the right components for the LS to work correctly. If you are just using the cable linkage, then it would be a matter of physically mounting the mechanical linkage to the pedal and a pivot on the throttle body and getting them to work. If you don't get it right, the trans will fail soon.
Another route is to get one of the aftermarket kits for the transmission that keeps full pressure on the valve body and eliminates the TV cable function.
Best bet is to just go with a 4L60E thats designed to work with your engine. A whole lot less problems and overdrive too boot.............

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
On a th350 you DO NOT need a cable. Lots of kits out to plug the actual cable hole.

The kick down cable is just for dropping the gear to give you better acceleration. It will up and down shift just fine without a kick down cable. If you feel the need to "kick down" into a lower gear you can do it manually without a kick down cable.

Now if you still want a cable then thats easy enough. Here is one of my DBW pedals I want to say it is a 07 or 12. I have a few of these around.

See that little pin on the pedal itself that the potentiometer attaches to?

Run a sleeved bolt in place of that pin and then attach the cable there mounting it to the firewall or dash. If needed a lever could be used to turn the pushing into pulling while maintaining the same ratio.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.