Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas-

Am going to undertake my first LS1/2 Conversion into a 68 Firechicken.... this is my first foray into the newer GM motors, so I'm gonna' need some advice from you Chevy guys... First off, any advice on any pitfalls I should look out for in performing the swap? I think I am going to use a 02 firebird LS1 w/ 6 speed for a donor.... I will use complete wiring harness, computer, pedals, etc....
Second, I understand that you can stroke an LS1 and pull good horse while maintaining "decent" economy (also can re-tune them, right?)- any advice?

Thanks-

Matt

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
You're in luck, new Hot Rod mag (Apr. 07) pg. 112 has an article on installing a crate LS7 in a '69 Camaro. You can get motor mounts, trans mount for a 6 speed and custom oil pan from "American Touring Specialties". Good luck and happy reading...

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,025 Posts
You might also want to check out Muscle Car TV. They've done two different approaches to the LS into GM sub-frame swaps. First one is called "Blue Hair". For it, he did not use the custom pan. Instead, he set the engine up real high. The second, he cut and rebuilt the cross member and added rack and pinion steering. Allows you to get the motor low, better header clearance, better steering, and allows for dropped spindles (uses S10 spindles). I think he said the mods were less than the custom pan. If it were me, I think I would go the latter route on the Firebird.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cross member rebuild-

Good call Redsdad--- I have seen how you modify the crossmember, and it is actually pretty simple... It just takes a bit of measuring, chop it and zap it and it's a done deal... I also have seen how you have to modify the tunnel also... thanks all for the good info--- I have a lot of reading to do....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts