Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually build older engines and im new to fuel injected setups. i'm thinking of getting a 5.3 ls1 because it is readily available to me for cheap. i want to turbo this motor so im thinking of getting about ls6 317 heads and an ls6 intake. my question is this. i want to put some boost in this thing so i need stronger internals. how much will the stock internals of the 5.3 hold? would it be worth throwing a 4.000 inch crank and boring it and putting 3.8 pistons in it? i know the ls6 option exist but i would just have to strengthen the internals of it as well. what kind of machine work would it need? has anyone done this? what kind of hp/ torque did you see if you did? the rotating assembly will cost me $2000 if i go the forged route and im ok with that considering what i can get everything else for. please dont call me an idiot for im just trying to learn. what injectors do i need? so on and so forth. thank you.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
LS turbo

Has it been done before...only about a million times. There is a ton of info over at LS1tech on what needs to be done for a successful turbo conversion. I believe putting a turbo on an LS motor will require more homework than money. Some have been able to just open up the ring gap and run everything else stock.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
You need a set of Gen 4 rods - see pic. They came in the different displacements and applications depending on the year. Virtually everything 05 and newer had them, but there is a chance that a truck 4.8 and 5.3 didn't have them upto 2007. If you find an LQ4, LS1, LS3, LS6, then it'll have them. After the rods, you need nothing further other than the stock block and crank for upto 1000hp.

Any of of the heads will work, but the 317'a are readily available and they have a mildly larger chamber that drops the compression 1/2 a point or so which allows for a mildly wider tuning window. Depending on the intake you plan to run, there is no need for square port heads - the cathedral ports work great.

Injector wise, a set of 80lb Deka/Siemens will get it done to darn near 900hp. For fuel pump(s) this comes down to budget, HP goals and appearance concern. The cheapest route I've found to keep in line with 900-1000 hp number is two 044 Bosch's. Also the A1000 Aeromotive is just as good, just a minor bit pricier.

You mentioned stroking and running replacement forged internals. They are truly a waste of time IMO depending on your goals for a boosted application. Here's why I say that : the stock internals can handle 1000HP, the stock block can handle another couple hundred more than that. If you're installing internals that can handle 1500HP, then you need an aftermarket block and then the price just went supersonic. And if you goals are in the 600-750HP range, then you can get by with any old LS rod.

What's your budget, mechanical skill level, and HP goals?

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.