Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going to help kid look at a 93 Z28 LT1 ....I talk to owner of car He said it has Aluminum heads... The kid is looking to build motor up... What I lookup the Alum. heads could be # 10128374 or 5245 or 649... And that its a reverse water flow motor correct? These heads any good or needs change to iron head maybe use # 290 ? Block # should be 10125327 for that year........Is this the 1st year for the fuel rails alone the intake ?........... If he builds the car up more then factory H-power by change to cam and exhaust / headers , maybe reprogram computer too if needed.......... Does he needs to change to a 350 or 400 turbo and most likely upgrade the factory rear end too. What horse power can the factory rear end / auto trans hold up to ? Not going over 6500 RPM... Thanks for all your help !:thumbup::p

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
Z28 LT1 should be a real 5.7L yes. What kind of car is it going into?

The baby LT1 ( l99 4.3L ) went into the Caprice, and no other car that I'm aware of

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ... going to use it like it is in its 1993 Z28 car....Should I update the computer system in the car? I did read somewhere on here that the original computer for that car can support it very well.... Just update the exhaust flow and change the cam just a bit higher lift ..I just don't want the kid to blow up the rear end.. I have to find out what the 1993 Z28 cam was 1st..

Maybe just update the exhaust and leave the cam size alone and that way no auto trans and rear end problems...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Up date on car and 350 motor...well its intake is off, B/C needs head gasket and its been apart for 6 years or so.... I look at oil on dip stick, looks like water is mixed in with the oil... So maybe aluminum heads are junk and maybe the motor is too..

Was a lady driver car and she said steam was going out the exhaust too..Too bad could have been a good one to use or pull it out and drop into another car... Cost for new heads and maybe a rebuilt bottom end too...

·
Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycl
7,481 Posts
Those cars were pretty fast stock... about 14 flat and 100 MPH in 1/4... about 350 HP in the old 1960's rating system... roller cam about a 209/211 durations... not much lift for a roller cam... As I recall, EFI is MAP system which means that it doesn't self-adapt to mods... will slow down unless computer is reflashed to match any mods... Opti-Spark distributor on front of engine also gives trouble after 60K miles... coolant leaks into it... I think Corvette came with aluminum heads and LT1 Camaro/Firebird came with later designed iron heads that actually slightly out flowed the older design 'Vette aluminum heads... Corvette also later got an LT4 version...

·
More for Less Racer
20,218 Posts
Rear end in the '93 Camaro is the 7.625" 10-bolt, a derivative of the 7.5" 10-bolt.
A rather weak rear in racing terms, 400-450 Hp and a good hook on soft tires will easily break it.
No cheap salvage yard bolt-in swap candidates either, due to the fact the rear axle is held in place by a central torque arm that no other housing has provisions for.

The common upgrades are aftermarket housings with this torque arm bolting provision, either a special center casting 12-bolt(Moser Engineering, Strange Engineering) or a 9" Ford conversion housing. About $1500 minimum.

These are not an easy car to go fast with, beyond common bolt-ons, due to the fact the entire driveline is not strong enough to survive strip use for long.
The fact the rear of the engine is under the windshield also makes retro-fit of more common Gen 1 SBC stuff a real chore...since that is also where the distributor is.
The LT engines are front mount Opti-Spark ignition, between the back of the waterpump and the front of the camshaft..

If I was going to be half way serious about racing one of these cars, it would get an aftermarket rear axle assembly, probably 9" Ford from Quick Performance, nd aftermarket driveshaft, and a TH-400 all bolted to a LS engine swap.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not going to happen for the kid to have this car...Junk the ideal for it.. ...Aftermarket housings with this torque arm bolting provision not for me.. He will not go for any older cars at all..1932 to 1972...I am trying to talk him into a truck of some kind...Thanks all... Have a good day and be safe all !!! :):cool:

·
Registered
14,339 Posts
Not going to happen for the kid to have this car...Junk the ideal for it.. ...Aftermarket housings with this torque arm bolting provision not for me.. He will not go for any older cars at all..1932 to 1972...I am trying to talk him into a truck of some kind...Thanks all... Have a good day and be safe all !!! :):cool:
Too bad he won't step back these post 1986 computer cars require a lot of cash be spent on software in addition to the hard hot rod parts, unless you've got a rich daddy coming up with the cash for all of this, it is a huge pain. I suppose he could take autoshop and get a student loan. The older pre computer stuff is a lot easier to learn on and gentler on the wallet for the amount of far end bang you get.

An LS would or could be put in there, but now your back the wiring and electronics. But since it doesn't use a distributor that space problem is eliminated.

If all he wants is girl magnet, he's better off keeping his hands clean and making payments on something new. These new cars are like a Japanese motorcycle, great performance, no long term value, just run it till it drops and refi a new replacement.

Bogie

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
An S10 is a great candidate for an LS swap. A stock 4.8L would make it scoot, and that's a cheap, cheap engine.. A '99-'02 can have the harness merged for the LS motor

·
7,481 Posts
Is this your son?

Does he prefer something like The Farm Truck?:

Or something cuter:
Q. Is this the 1st year ('93) for the fuel rails along the intake ?

A.Oh, BTW, that happened in 1985.. at 6:15: (for Chevy)

A. Also, Cadillac did it in 1976 for Seville's Olds V8s...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes its the 1st year for the fuel rails on each side for the Z28 ...I too like the early 1970 trucks.. I have a 1974 full size Chevrolet_Blazer with a full removable top all the way to the windshield too...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, I had a 1985 Indy 500 IROC special edition from Indianapolis...This 1993 Z28 the fuel rails are different then that 1985 IROC

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
Thanks for the info...He like's a full size truck a little more. In time I will see which way he picks...
GMT 400 truck ( '88-'95 ). You can swap in an LS really easy. That makes 300hp at a minimum.. bigger truck gives you more room for turbo stuff which the LS does very well. 500hp tire burners are all over the place because of it.
A GMT 800 truck would actually come with the LS motor and be easier
A good running/ shifting truck would be a good starting point since you can reuse the transmission for an LS swap

·
7,481 Posts
No, I had a 1985 Indy 500 IROC special edition from Indianapolis...This 1993 Z28 the fuel rails are different then that 1985 IROC
They both have dual fuel rails with 8 injectors and port injection... as does my '87 GTA and '79 Seville... unless your '85 had the TBI engine instead of TPI option...

I got a good buy on the Seville because it was at an auto repair place and the old mechanics there apparently couldn't fix it and didn't know much about EFI... they told me it seemed to have a problem in the "throttle body injection" (TBI)... getting only 1 MPG... I got it home and pulled the air cleaner and looked but couldn't find the injectors in the throttle body... then I realized as I was looking, I was resting my arm across the driver's side fuel rail... Cadillac wanted $150 for a new fuel injector... and it had 8 of them! So I cleared the crud out of the old one...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts