Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on my '95 Z-28, replacing the water pump. Knowing that the OPTI is very susceptible to water/moisture intrusion, I am considering removing the cap/rotor to inspect the trigger wheel and sensor. The car was running fine with no known OPTI issues, but the water pump was leaking from the weep hole, directly onto the OPTI. Would it harm the unit to clean it out with MAF sensor cleaner?

·
bentwings
2,590 Posts
I am working on my '95 Z-28, replacing the water pump. Knowing that the OPTI is very susceptible to water/moisture intrusion, I am considering removing the cap/rotor to inspect the trigger wheel and sensor. The car was running fine with no known OPTI issues, but the water pump was leaking from the weep hole, directly onto the OPTI. Would it harm the unit to clean it out with MAF sensor cleaner?
You can probably read my heartaches on the Buick road master thread

I think you have a later model opti. This may hav3 a vacuum line to the MAF sensor and another up to the intak manifold. Check these lines to make sure they str hooked up and in good condition. Water pump leaking directl6 on the opti is not a good sign.if the opti is wet inside you may be able to clean and dry it but you have to find the leak in the opti. My guess is you are on borrowed time. Try cleaning first but inspect the opti carefully. It may have corroded contacts. You will have to keep a close watch on the whole EFIsysten. Plug wires are important too. And are easily damaged.I suggest getting the EEHACK program for a laptop. Dedicate this to your car for diagnostics. It’s not real difficult to install.you will need a cord from the laptop to the port under the dash. Most scanners don’t work very well on this system. You can search for the program as I don’t have the link anymore.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I read your Roadmaster thread, and was hoping you would chime in. The system was intact and running well, both vacuum lines were in place. I'm thinking that I caught the leaky water pump very early on since the radiator was still full. I was chasing a problem with the vacuum line feeding the AC vent ducts when I saw the oil and water on the bottom of the water pump, and saw that the OPTI was wet with oil. I did not notice any corrosion on the connectors, but will take a closer look before I put it back together. The plug wires are relatively new, but the ends on the OPTI were covered in an oily mess. I think that this car may have the MSD OPTI on it since the cap is red. I did read an older thread where they guy sealed his OPTI cap with plumbers putty. I'm not sure what I think about that one yet. I think this evening I'll pull the cap from the OPTI and take a look inside. Once everything is back together and running I'll verify that the orifice and check valve in the vacuum line are intact. I have some time since the parts that I had to order will not be here until tomorrow anyway. I'd love to figure out how to test the OPTI while it's off the car.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, this thing seems to be fighting me at every step of the way... I was able to take the OPTI apart this evening, and there was a little oil intrusion. One of the four screws holding the cap on broke off in the housing. Should be fun fixing that... I also noticed that the tone wheel has been rubbing on the optical sensor. Looks like the last person inside this thing didn't stack the parts correctly and set the disc up too high. The screws holding the rotor on were loose, too.
20201022_200220.jpg
20201022_200227.jpg
20201022_200239.jpg
20201022_200606.jpg
20201022_200634.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts