Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may know of my LT1 fun I've been having. Long story short, I needed to do an optispark on my 96 SS. The old one sheared off the rotor. So I figured I'd fix a small weep in the timing cover while I was there and I took the opportunity to do a few other things: timing chain, oil pan gasket, tranny filter, etc. Also new bosch platinum plugs and the mid-grade plug wires.

I got it all back together and got it running (after 6 months :rolleyes: ) and its missing one cylinder. I thought maybe it was just my imagination or maybe thought I had one cylinder with a stuck ring or valve, but vacuum and blowby aren't out of the ordinary. I double checked the wire resistance, the plug gap, the routing and then ran out of time. Judging from the exhaust sound and smell, its the driver's side, and judging by manifold temp its probably #3 or #5, but those manifolds heat up pretty evenly so it was hard to tell. I didn't want to run it too long if its dumping fuel at the cats, but a few quick sprays with brake cleaner revealed no vacuum leaks.

Over the 6 months I had the old plugs loosely in the holes; do you think it got enough moisture to rust a bore? Next on the agenda is a compression test when I get enough time, but it doesn't crank like one cylinder is low.

Thoughts? What did I mess up?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Lt1

Hey Curtis, I did an optispark replacement on my wifes '94 z28, it had quit running when I was driving it, had to call a tow truck to get it home. Same as yours, the distributor had torn itself up. After replacement, it didn't want to run right(off and on miss, idle jumping up and down,etc.) I disconnected the battery to try a hard reset on ecm, it did the trick, drove around for a while, ecm retuned itself, all was ok. Also, once on a spark plug replacement, I cracked a plug without realizing it. Man, you gotta be Houdini to get to some of the plugs on the Camaro. :) olnolan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.