Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 83 chevy 350, 9.4-9.5 compression engine.
Dart 165 heads 1.94/1.5 valves ported. Weiand action plus
manifold, and a holley 770 carb. I need help choosing a cam,
Lunati 60102lk or 60103lk. A TH350 and a 3.42 rear. Blazer
weighs 3700#'s. ( Power brakes) Will the 60103LK work with
this combo? (Oh ya and valve clearance is .525) Want the
make as much power as I can with this motor with what I have.
Will the 60103LK be enothe vaccum? Will a 2000 stall be enough?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
either one will run ok.

102 will idle smoother and have more off idle power. (better of mpg and spinning tires)

103 will run better on the top end.

I would use the 102, especially if you plan to use it as a daily driver. However, 9.5:1 cr would be a tad high for that cam in my opinion. I would prefer 9:1 with that duration.

in either case, use zddp oil additive at break in and at each oil change. Those flat tappet cams have aggressive ramps and will eat lobes if you use regular motor oil.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
I would go with the smaller of the 2 for your engine, bUT you'll need to get the tune spot on or run on premium gas because of the compression issue. 9:1 would be about right for taht cam in taht heavy vihicle, but 9.5:1 is doable, just need a good tune. For a heavy SUV like that its best to have a cam that is too small rather than too big.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lunati voodoo 60102LK or 60103LK

Hello, Thankyou for the advice, I'm going to get the 60102LK
cam, I was going to pull the heads off anyway, I have a .025 head gasket
on it and I'm .010 in the whole (.035 now). would it hurt to put
a thicker gasket to lower cc abit?

Thanks

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
you wouldn't gain much by going that route to lower compression. I would just run it as you have planned and go from there, if it really is a problem then you can reduce the timing a tad, advance the cam 4º or take a little out of the chambers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.