Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter wants to drive a small truck. I've got a 1978 Chevy Luv longbed and a 2001 GMC Sonoma sitting in the yard, neither has run in years. Both are 4 cylinders with manual transmissions. I'm fairly sure the Luv will need more work to get on the road, but the duct tape holding the bed together has so much character! From a simple cost perspective, not looking for a whole lot of power, which would be the best build for a teenage girl?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm going to say the Sonoma, smply for the easier availability of repair parts
DITTO
Plus First car/truck you might want her in a truck that if hit from behind has some metal left so it doesn't fold like tin foil.
The s-10/15 truck you can still get parts for at the local parts store. I don't think the luv will have that.
Child might not like a truck that any time it needs a part is sidelined for a few days, you might not like that either when you become her taxi.
If breaking down, waiting for parts, and she likes working along side dad working on, rebuilding it. The luv might be a cool project., if the rest of the truck body isn't Swiss cheese.
You know your little girl better than we do. If she get upset any time it truck is down waiting for parts for a few days, The luv would be a no go.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I absoultly hate the 2.2 truck engine.

The car 2.2 is a diffrent animal and just much better. But that truck 2.2 has cost GM several customers. No you can't run the car 2.2 in your truck.

If you have to keep 2.2 for your states emissions then fine. But otherwise pull that failure prone mess and the 20 year old nest of wiring around it. Your interior controls (Including hvac) can be run standalone easily.

The 2.5 that came before the 2.2 is a much more user friendly engine that will bolt right up to the transmission.

A tbi 2.5 can be run standalone easily. My current build is a 94 with a 2.5 turning the 94's 5 speed. Running a later 2.5 will give you a serpentine belt setup.

Here you go. Harness, programed chip, and the ecm all in one package for $500 to your door to make running a 2.5 tbi plug and play. Just email them and tell them what your starting with.

The tbi regulatior (intrigrated into throttlebody) will have no issue running the with the 01's fuel pump pressure. It just sends the extra back to the tank. I have ran a inline pump for 2 years now that is rated for a ls(entire fuel system is set up for a eventual ls swap) on a 87 tbi without any issues with the regulatior or injectiors.

While the luv is a cool project finding say doors or fenders at a junk yard might be a headache.

You can still find body parts for the 01 in yards or if need be buy them new. Just check the reviews on the new parts fit as most require a bit of playing around.

·
Registered
183 Posts
KIds first car/truck. leave the 2.2 in it, till if and when it kicks the bucket.
While she is driving it, you can source a g.m. s-10/15 2.5 iron duke drivetrain.
The USPS is retiring their fleet of mail trucks they have used for the last 20 years + piece mail.
They then auction them off.
The mail trucks are 3/4's of a 2wd s-10/15 . and has the same 2.5 151 c.i.d. iron duke 4 banger in them and most of the drivetrain. down to the same vin code for the 2.5 ironduke oops "tech 4 " engine.
Just an option if one was to go that route and bother with a swap.

·
More for Less Racer
19,719 Posts
If I was going to do an engine swap in the Sonoma, it certainly wouldn't be another weak power 4 cylinder, it would be a nice little mild 275-300 Hp SBC 350 or a little 4.8 or 5.3 LS swap.
Screw that 4 cylinder junk.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Besides the easy maintenance of a 2.5.
Knowing you really do not have much power means you can have fun without breaking stuff.

If you do say run it out of oil or overheat it(like a first time driver might do). A 2.5 longblock can be found easily enough, stuffed under a bench( lubed, taped/sealed, and placed in a bag) so if things happen you have a extra "good" one to drop in (with a few new gaskets) over a weekend.

I have had several. They take alot of abuse before they die.

·
Administrator
8,194 Posts
Sell em both for scrap and buy a runner
I will buy the LUV truck thou....;)
I have a BBC I could drop in it...LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts