Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am restoring a 1965 jeep wagoneer .when i removed the motor and trans i discovered it has a m22 trans in it . i know it's not stock but not being a chevy guy i was wondering if it is worth any thing. thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
If your sure its a real M22, its a pretty rare transmission. THey go for about $800-1200 on EBay depending on condition. I know because I was once looking for on until I got a Borg warner instead. If its an M22, the input shaft should have no rings on it and the spline count should be 26. They are nice transmissions

·
Registered
3 Posts
it would be worth a lot to the right person , like some one that is in the stock thing, most of the people that i know that run hard perfer autos. i just bought a m-20 4 speed for my car and paid about $700.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
trans

I am going to ask the same question as poncho62 did... Why do you think it's a M22????

The early M20 muncies with the 7/8 pin counter shaft had no rings around the input. They are 10 spline input shafts. 95 % of the time these transmissions get confused with the M22. The only way to be 100 percent positive is to pull the side cover and look at the gears. It is hard for someone that is not familar with the muncie to see the difference but the real M22's have a straighter gear in them then the M20/M21....

Can you give us the casting number and the id number??? The casting number is on the passinger side of the main case. The id number could be any where but it to is usually on the passinger side..... Maybe post a picture???

Keith

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
The above post's are right, except you cannot just rely on the input shaft, case number and such to identify it as an M22. There are virtually no unmolested M22's in existance today. Various gear manufactures make replacement gear sets for M22's that will fit in any case with a 1" countershaft. The replacement gear sets do not have identifying rings on the input shaft to tell the ratio. Again, the only tried and true way to tell if it's an M22 is to pull the side cover and look at the gear angle.

Vince

1 - 6 of 6 Posts