Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is something I’m just not understanding, probably because I’m not very bright. My car has a 496 stroker and had a bad slipping clutch when I bought it. Immediately took it to a shop and discovered it had a centerforce pressure plate & clutch that, according to the shop, was bad.

Replaced flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch with a 12” O’Reilly combo, and replaced the bellhousing with 460486 to accommodate the new 12” 168 tooth flywheel. At that time, I thought it was just a stock 454.

Later, the M21 Muncie blew and had it rebuilt, four times. After a while, it would start grinding going into one gear or another. On the 5th rebuild we turned it into an M22W. After awhile, started grinding in 2nd. Replaced synchro, then okay.

Now, it has started grinding in 3rd & 4th if I rev beyond 4000RPM, and sometimes it’s hard to get it in 3rd gear. But this happens only beyond 4000RPM, otherwise it shifts fine.

My question is this, is changing from an expensive clutch setup that I had before to a cheaper one have anything to do with my transmission trouble? BTW, the clutch adjustment has been checked and rechecked. OR am I totally out of bed and it’s just a case of bad synchronizers?

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Did you align the new bellhousing. Make sure it’s square and centered to the block.
‘Is your 496 internally or externally balanced?
Do you have the right flywheel?

oOr did you just buy the stuff and bolt it togethor?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you align the new bellhousing. Make sure it’s square and centered to the block.
‘Is your 496 internally or externally balanced?
Do you have the right flywheel?

oOr did you just buy the stuff and bolt it togethor?
The previous owner didn’t reveal much about the car, said he was selling it for his son. Told me it was a 454. Later, I saw that it had aluminum heads and when I pulled the pan to knock out some dents, saw it had a Scat crank, Eagle rods and SRP pistons with roller system. I don’t know if the engine is internally or externally balanced ( how can I tell?).

It also had a Lakewood bellhousing which I replaced. I had my shop check alignment using a Browell alignment tool when they installed the current truck bellhousing. I assume it was done correctly. Best I can tell, axle ratio is 3.08 posi. All I know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts