Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back a block and heads from machine shop 351. I want to check everything just to make sure he is a good machinist. I have a dial bore gague to check mains. I read you check cam line bore with straight edge and feeler gauges. Can this be done even though he installed cam bearings. Also I can use dial bore gauge to check cylinder walls. How do I check rods? Any other checks and descriptions of how to do them would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The dial bore gauge I have reads in .0001 so you need to take that into accoount when doing your checking so don't freak out if you get .0002-.0004 difference. I mic the piston that is going in that cyl then set the bore gauge to 0 using the mic as the standard then check for the difference in the bores every inch and 90 degrees. Do the same with the rods and mains comparing them to the crank. With bearings in and the bolts torqued check the difference with the bore gauge but only do them top to bottom the bearings are thinner at the parting line to keep them from wipping the oil off. That is your bearing clearance.

I check if the cam spins free with oil on the bearings in a street motor and leave it at that.

Mike

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
jesuscowboy said:
I just got back a block and heads from machine shop 351. I want to check everything just to make sure he is a good machinist. I have a dial bore gague to check mains. I read you check cam line bore with straight edge and feeler gauges. Can this be done even though he installed cam bearings. Also I can use dial bore gauge to check cylinder walls. How do I check rods? Any other checks and descriptions of how to do them would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
You would have to check the cam tunnel with the cam bearings installed as the jounals are different sizes.

Mains can be checked for size but not for alignment,

Bolt your heads on and check the cylinder bores from the bottom. If it was not plate honed it will show up the the cylinders are distorted near the top where you really need ring seal.

You should check the rods for alignment bend and twist as this seems to be over looked by alot of shops out there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CNC BLOCKS NE said:
You would have to check the cam tunnel with the cam bearings installed as the jounals are different sizes.

Mains can be checked for size but not for alignment,

Bolt your heads on and check the cylinder bores from the bottom. If it was not plate honed it will show up the the cylinders are distorted near the top where you really need ring seal.

You should check the rods for alignment bend and twist as this seems to be over looked by alot of shops out there.

How do I check the cam tunnel......when you say bolt on my heads do you mean to install head gasket and torque them down or just snug the head up and then check from bottom........About rods and pistons, not realizing I had aluminum pistons I dropped the piston and rods in parts cleaner (Zep Industrial Purple) they came out black. How can I clean the black off... should I take the rod off and glass bead the piston? What is the best way to check rod for bend and twist?

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
jesuscowboy said:
How do I check the cam tunnel......when you say bolt on my heads do you mean to install head gasket and torque them down or just snug the head up and then check from bottom........About rods and pistons, not realizing I had aluminum pistons I dropped the piston and rods in parts cleaner (Zep Industrial Purple) they came out black. How can I clean the black off... should I take the rod off and glass bead the piston? What is the best way to check rod for bend and twist?
With the cam beaings in place and if the cams slides in you should be fine, Torque the head on with the gasket and measure the bores from the bottom side.

Sunnen makes a fixture for checking bend and twist and its better to check with the pistons off.

It soulds like you set the pistons in the wrong cleaner and a chemical reactions has occured becare ful the as the pin bores maybe damaged as it hard to clean between the pin and the pin bore of the piston.

Here a link on plate honing as it should aply to Fords as well.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58964

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.