Hot Rod Forum banner

Machine shops a Dying breed

3531 Views 44 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  kso
Does anyone care that most Mom and Pop Machine shops are disappearing?

Las Vegas has lost many in the last few years, No one is taking over for these Old timers Sad really.

I am not looking forward to the day when I need something machined and have to ship my stuff hope I never see that day.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
227 Posts
I don't know about the state of the industry though My Machinist has no shortage of work or customers but yet cant keep people and Like I tell him charge more pay people better give more benefits and he says people wont pay and he has a hard time collecting on parts now as people don't pay on time he sits on stuff for months to years taking up floor space he doesn't have.

People definitely wouldn't like the place if I ran it good work or not !
Works done on time Pay your bill on time pick your junk up on time! MOM and Pop cant afford the BS!
I've been watching this scenario for a while now. Seems all the folks I see at car shows and meets are 60 and over so the customers are aging and so aren't the machine shop owners. Same group. I have two good shops and they are very busy. Not sure who, if anyone will take them over when the the current owners decide to retire and try to sell out. I'm hesitant to get into another significant project since all my contacts and support shops are diminishing.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts