Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know exactly what you mean.
I wonder how many are being put out of business or new start ups stopped by just the fact of permitting from state and local laws. I myself was prevented from opening a shop in a Building I own outright on my own property because of zoning.
They changed my zoning without notice.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Greg
I am in same boat almost I have a 4 hr round trip myself.
I use to use Tom Lucito in Tulsa oklahoma when I lived their "Lucito machine" I don't know if hes still in business? I also used Moritz machine Moritz was ok but I got better work out of Lucito!
Tom is a great guy old school I worked for him off and on in his one man shop as a side gig to my full time job back 20 plus years ago when his son was going to engineering classes and racing Sprint cars on weekends.
He and I built some great engines together that still run great to this day!

I miss him and his shop he was a great friend.

The Shop I use now and for the last 20 years in Las Vegas nv does good work but must be checked thoroughly as the owner is older and ailing and he doesnt watch the staff and check their work as closly as he used too. he has asked me to run the shop numerous times but I cant afford the cut in pay he also wants to sell out but I cant afford what he needs for the place.
Hes now trying to build it up bringing in CNC equipment to get his Kids to take it over Great idea but in reality only one of them is really has his heart in it, I really hope the kids make a good run of it.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know about the state of the industry though My Machinist has no shortage of work or customers but yet cant keep people and Like I tell him charge more pay people better give more benefits and he says people wont pay and he has a hard time collecting on parts now as people don't pay on time he sits on stuff for months to years taking up floor space he doesn't have.

People definitely wouldn't like the place if I ran it good work or not !
Works done on time Pay your bill on time pick your junk up on time! MOM and Pop cant afford the BS!

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a real problem everywhere. I know it is in the Greensboro, NC area. Dealerships don't rebuild engines any more. They just install crate engines. So, the demand for machine work has dropped and the old owners are retiring or worse. This is going to make it impossible to build a street rod with a hemi, nailhead or other old engine going forward.
Steeler ships never rebuild engines they always install a factory rebuild or a new crate engine so they were never a factor in the conversation, No the conversation comes down to local shop doing valve jobs and the occasional rebuild and the local Hot Rodder / Racer and with all the city's loosing their race tracks again Machine shops loose business. Were is the incentive for them? Soon your local repair shop will only instal parts available from Orileys or Autozone Napa and the like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts