Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
442 Posts
Does anyone care that most Mom and Pop Machine shops are disappearing?

Las Vegas has lost many in the last few years, No one is taking over for these Old timers Sad really.

I am not looking forward to the day when I need something machined and have to ship my stuff hope I never see that day.
Yes it's sad they are really needed.

· Registered
442 Posts
Yes it's sad they are really needed.
I'm lucky 10 min from my place there is an excellent machine shop. They do 90 % performance work. They have an engine dyno some real nice equipment and they do top notch work. 2 guys been in business over 40 yrs. Nice guys down to earth you can talk to them. One of the guys is having medical issues that's going to be tough on the other guy if he leaves. They are Bombed with work .

· Registered
442 Posts
My local machine shop of choice was run by a aging man in his 70's. It was a small shop and one man show. He had more work than he could possibly handle. Sometimes it took six months to get my heads or blocks back. It was however high quality work, never a comeback. Unfortunatly he had multiple strokes and closed up the shop. Very sad, he was a good guy.
When he was open, due to some customers thinking he was a storage site for their engine parts, he implimented a 90 day pick up / payment after notice of completion of work. If you did not pay and pick up your stuff, after 90 days he owned it and sold it to recover his costs. This worked very well.
One of the biggest issues is that the older machine shop guys had so much experience and knowledge and they are retireing and dying off. This leaves a gap in finding a reliable shop that does quality work.
Need some young blood with pride and good work ethics to take over some shops. I'm afraid most can't afford the initial cost. Be nice for some to get in and work for these places learn the business. Hope it can happen. It's much needed. Ernie.

· Registered
442 Posts
Had to drive 4 hours one way to get to a shop that would use a torque plate on my last engine. Called about a dozen shops and nobody would do it. Most didn't even have one. Local shop flat refuses to use one even though he has the tool. Claims it takes too much time and nobody will pay for it. I said I would pay for the extra time, but then he said you don't need it. I commented that even if that was so, I was paying for it so what did it matter to him. Then he said "Ain't got time to fool with that crap". Soooo, it was time for a long drive.

Local guy is the only machine shop around here. The few times I've used him, it literally took many months to get my parts back.

The shop I used for the torque plate job was ran by an older gentleman that was training his grandson to do the work. The grandson took my job, listened to what I wanted and then did the work with his grandfathers oversight. Shop appeared to be well equipped, too. Even had a 5 axis mill for head porting. Yes it cost more to use the torque plate, but I paid for it with no questions. Got my parts back in about 2 weeks and they were great. Zero decked and bored like I wanted. I'll use him again if he stays in business.

There may be some hope for the future, but the shops will be few and far between.
Let's ope. Ernie.

· Registered
442 Posts
Let's ope. Ernie.
Hope.
Ok. 5 reasons below.

First reason is that the modern engine can't be machined/sleeved or it is more cost preventive to buy a new block/shortblock.

Second reason is that most junk since the 90's is designed to run for 10 years and be crushed. You have things like thin frames/unibodies, "never need to be serviced" transmissions, and just ton of plastic failure prone parts that will send that thing to be crushed far before the engine needs to be machined.

Third is the cost and space required to run a old school shop. Even a well organized setup is going to take up around a 20x20-30 space. You need to set all those blocks somewhere. You need the power required and unless you have the contracts it is a big gamble how long till/if you see a profit.
Then you have things like foam structured 3d printed metal right around the corner(getting cheaper). This combined with 3d cnc machining allows for limitless options as far as blocks are concerned. Want a 16 cylinder auto union engine from the 30's or a v4 engine for your triumph? Stuff is crazy expensive currently. But the prices are coming down allowing much more then just a old school engine machine shop can do for a similar investment while using less floor space.

Forth reason is all the junk cams, lifters, electronic parts, variances in tolerences in things like rocker springs, and just "made cheaper" stuff that if you/the person putting your engine together is not comparing the old to the new to check if the new stuff is hardened etc the new stuff can go in and wear out or destroy that engine in a short time.

Last reason is that it often is cheaper to get a good used engine then build one. I am stockpiling LM7's currently and will be for several years.

I could build one LM7 have the thing all machined for new bearings and get a few goodies added along the way bumping up the compression to make it a 100,000 mile engine capable of 550hp on e85. Cost me around $3500 and 3 months downtime most days of the week.

OR

I can run one $350 180k engine for 20,000 miles pushing that thing to 550hp with a bit of boost until a ring closes or rocker explodes then grab another $350 engine and after a weekend/week to gapping the rings and slapping on some new gaskets be back to driving the thing.

I am choosing the 2nd much cheaper, much faster, less need to baby the engine option. Most people choose this option or a crate engine then building a engine.
So what are you saying there is no call for them.?. Every one I know has more work than they can handle

· Registered
442 Posts
They've been saying the muscle car era is done. They been saying that for how many years now. Go to a car show and see how many pre 80 cars are there now. Plenty. The machinists that can work on the stuff will still be around just not as many and their price will rise. The politicians would like to see them gone. They're invested in the big oil and car companies. They'll eventually squash everything that is good to profit them selves.

· Registered
442 Posts
The point of the original post is being lost in these posts. Everyone knows or should know the Cost of equipment and the amount of equipment needed etc. The original post was are you going to miss these shops when they are gone??. Yes you can go buy a scrap yard engine or half ass something together. But what if you have a unique engine or an original numbers matching piece and you want to do it over. Then what. Or you restoring a muscle car. What good is a junk yard LS with 250 k miles to you. Not much to me. Think about it..

· Registered
442 Posts
My local shop is two guys one in his fifties one in his 60's. They have been in business for 30 plus years. They do stellar work. They can bake a block shot peen a block/heads etc. Boring, power honing with bhj block plate. Resurface a block or cyl heads. They do a ton of cyl head work and porting. They have an engine dyno. They are reg guys you can talk to. Won't try to sell you an operation that's not needed. They are NEVER Slow. The shop is spotless. I don't see modern engine or EV vehicles affecting their operation any time soon. I was there several weeks ago they had two big complete Merc Marine engines to be completely gone thru. 4 Alum headed BB Chevy's. Several sbc's..They do cyl head work for many local garages. They had at least 6 pair of bbc new cyl head castings being prepped to go out. They had a few stock complete rebuilds to do. They go along at a good pace they don't rush thru but get things done in a reasonable time. There are other shops within a thirty mile radius most with great reps and do quality work. They don't work cheap and they don't do cheap work. More expensive than a scrap yard engine buy will outlast and out perform a used piece.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts